Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 24, 2004, 10:40 PM   #1

Is there any difference between the A75 Canon Powershot and the A85 Canon Powershot besides the megapixels? ecause ive noticed that the a75 has gotten better reviews than the a85. Right now im trying to see if the extra megapixel is worth the extra $80. I want to be able to go up to 8x10 photo qualitypictures, andi heard that the A75 does well at that size, im just trying toask if the A85 is worth it.
APowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2004, 11:37 PM   #2

They both have the same size sensors, while the A85 has more pixels on the same sensor, so it is possible that A75 has lower noise. So maybe that's one reason...

Another possibility is... when A75 came out, it may not have had the same competition as when A85 came out (a little bit later). So reviews may have been good earlier on... I'm just guessing here on the reviews...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 8:40 PM   #3

one more question, im down to the a80 and a85, ive decided i want 4MP but not sure which of the 2 to decide on, im not worried about the slight size difference of the LCD.
APowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 9:22 PM   #4

A80 vs A85...

looking at the specs...

A80 seems to have a larger sensor while having almost identical megapixels. Generally this means the A80 will produce pics with lower noise than A85--BUT since the A85 is newer, it is hard to say if the sensor technology is much better...

A80 has 1.5" twist-out LCD va 1.8" (non-twist it seems)... I think the twist-out LCD is very benefitial (my CAnon S1 IS has it and I find it useful) so I would give better marks to A80...

Video on the A85 is much better than A80 ([email protected] vs [email protected])... but both video suck and is nothing to be proud of...

A80 is slightly heavier and a little bit larger...

If the prices are close to each other, I would go with the A80 simply BASED ON SPECS...you should read some reviews to see if pic quality is any different...also, keep in mind that the A85 is newer so I am not exactly sure if the A85 may be better with small little things...

Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote