Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 25, 2004, 1:10 PM   #1

Okay,

M1 out of the box...looks slender and easy to hold...pretty light too. Sony has 2 ways to power it up...one from turning the LED screen and the other to hit a button on the outside. I have to say that if you put this thing in your pocket, you can hit the power button without realizing it...so, not a good place for a power button. The only saving grace with this is that the button has to be depressed a bit, so perhaps that was Sony's protection mechanism for this...we'll have to see.

I ordered a 512 SanDisk duo pro card and an extra (aftermarket) battery. An extra battery will be needed if you plan to use the camera a lot. The battery charged fully in about 2 hours...no problem with that.

The camera slides into the charger but you have to open a flimsy plastic flap to do so...I'm going to assume Sony tested this for a while to make sure the flap would last...it is hinged...

The manual is like all others these days....a short novel. The functions on this camera are immense. If it performs as it should, then this camera will take the market by storm. I'll go as far as saying if it performs 75% as good as it should, it will take the market...etc...

First impression is good...now lemme play with it and see how it works...

Any questions, fire away! :|

Headless
the-headless_horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2004, 5:19 PM   #2

First take on pictures and video...

I set the video up for the 2nd of 3 levels of video quality...took a 5 second outdoor clip almost directly at the sun...there was some pixelation, but, otherwise, the quality is not too bad...remember, this is not a Sony high-end videocam...however, it'll do just fine...and this wasn't on best quality image.

In regard to camera pics, the magnifying glass feature is pretty cool...works great for extreme close-ups.

Indoor pics do come out a bit dark, but you can play with the exposure and other functions to correct this...I think once I (you) know how to use the camera, it won't be a big deal...battery holding up so far...

Camera function easy...one you get used to the buttons, you can scroll through menus quite easily and quickly...Sony has done a good job on this camera in regards to this...

Have to install software and I'll see if I can get some photos/videos here, if anyone is interested...

Headless
Old Dec 25, 2004, 10:09 PM   #3

Test to see how strong the flash is... and how bad the red-eye problem is... these were two of the weaknesses of the T1...I'm wondering if the M1 is better than T1 in this regard...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 1:45 AM   #4

Well,

I have to test it a little further away as it seems fine from 5 feet and under...I guess I can play with the timer button a bit more from a further distance...I am leaving the AF illuminator on with the red eye reduction...no problems thus far.

The inside video on the middle grade video is exceptional...no problems...bright light (outside) may require the highest setting...we'll see.

The hybrid function is quite interesting as it records 5 seconds before you even hit the photo button...pretty cool as you really don't know when it begins...it then takes the pic and continues recording for another 3 seconds...very, very cool!

Picture quality inside is excellent...no problems with lighting...and that's withough changing exposure...(from -2 to +2)...if you make it more plus, I'm sure it will brighten things up a little more...

The functions on the camera are easy to follow...can switch from video to pics without even a thought...nice 5 second video mode too for quick takes...

Have to try out burst mode with golf swing...doesn't tell you time for pics, although it is 16 overall pictures...3 settings (1:7.5, 1:15, 1:30)...not sure if and how they affect overall length of burst mode (for example, 1 second versus 3 straight seconds of pic taking at different intervals)...we'll see...

Program mode allows you to play with more features, such as sharpness, contrast, etc...again, more features for more experienced photographers.

Video mode easy to use and play with...again, I'm very impressed with video mode so far (have to give up a bit of pleasure with outside video)...haven't even tried best quality yet....due to compression, it takes up more space. You don't need top quality for indoor use though...no question about that! No pixelation whatsoever indoors!

Headless
Old Dec 26, 2004, 1:47 AM   #5

Oh yeah,

about the flash...there is a setting on the camera for a + and - flash...this will help with distance...haven't had to use it but I'll try to grab some farther distance pics to see if red-eye is a problem...for most normal range shots, it looks like it's okay for the type of camera it is (very small!)...

Headless
Old Dec 29, 2004, 1:59 PM   #6

I was looking at going with an M1 or T1/T5 variant. I really wanted a super small camera to take most anywhere when I want to travel light. I read about the limitations of the T1 and so forth. Do you have any idea on how the picture quality is comparign the M1 vs T1? I know the video is much better in everyway with the M1.

I would like to compare the two side by side for size and handling of each camera. Is the M1 much bulkier or more awkward to use with the articulating screen? How compact is it?

Just trying to gather as much info as I can before I make a purchase.

Thanks

CK

ck223 is offline   Reply With Quote