Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 27, 2004, 11:10 PM   #11

You have to use memory stick pro to record at 30 fps. Regular memory stick only records at 16fps.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 11:13 PM   #12

Steve's review probably tells which conversion lenses are compatible with the W1. I imagine you will have to buy an adapter, also.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 9:25 AM   #13

My vote goes to the Canon A85. I just got one a few weeks ago, and I am STUNNED by the beautiful picture quality. (I initially bought the Fuji A340, then the Kodak 7440 and returned both of them, then bought the Canon. LOVE it.) I am printing the photos on the Canon Paper Pro (Canon's best paper I believe) with the Canon i860 printer. People are saying "YOU PRINTED THESE YOURSELF?!!! HOW ARE THEY SO GOOD????" They are actually better photos than our Canon AE 1 SLR, which we were NOT expecting. Sharp, perfect exposure, gorgeous color. Didn't think we could get better pics than the AE 1. I am like a kid with the best toy ever.

Pam P.
Pamp81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 12:13 PM   #14

HPO wrote:
Quote:
I was looking at steves reviews and you can rotate the camera and on the camera it clearly states memory stick PRO. I am just going to have to go and call Sony ca tomorrow.
ok I guess you need memory stick pro. This doesn't surprise me since video requires something faster and pro is the faster spec.

One thing I forgot about was that this is a Sony. Nearly all Sonys require memory stick (or memory stick pro) so make sure you get that (and not compact flash, SD, xD, or some other format). The original one you quoted is an SD card and it won't work if the camera requires memory stick.

Quote:
That totally bites cause they are really expensive those ones. oh well.
Yeah That's one downside to buying Sony cameras (or Sony anything--even laptops).

Quote:
One last thing it says
Conversion Lens compatible

Does that mean the lens can be changed to something more powerful like a zoom lens. Sorry if I sound new. I asked that question cause I own the Nikon f75 with that long zoom so thats why i asked it.
What that means is that you can attach an adapter to the existing lens (you can't remove the existing lens) and add converters to increase the wide-angle, telephoto (more zoom), macro, etc. You have to check which adapters are available for the W1 but generally you can increase zoom by a little bit (usually 50% to 70% more) or wide-angle (usually 30% wider) but you need to check for your camera.

Having said all that, these adapters are not worth it for ultra-compacts and compacts IMO. Most of these things cost a hundread dollars (or thereabouts) and it is pointless to buy it for these cameras. If you wanted zoom or wide-angle or something, you should buy a camera with those built-in (eg. if you need wide-angle, you might want to pay several hundread dollars more and buy, say, a Canon S70 which starts out at smaller wide-angle)...

Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 5:48 PM   #15
HPO

well I just bought it today. Went to future shop and they mbeat sonys price. by 6$ so it was like $414 plus tax.. I have 30 days to return it and I was thinking well why not try the camera out and if I dont like it I can return it and get my money back. But then 30 days would be easy for me to take an additional 100$ to get Say the A95 Canon. I have the money but I said in my head that I would only spend a certain amount.
here are 3 names rate them. 1 being the best.

Canon A95
Sony cybershot DSC W1
Fuji Fuji Finepix F610 6.3MP

This is combonitation video plus picture quality. And the W1 is pretty pricey for a 1 gig memory card.
HPO is offline   Reply With Quote