Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 26, 2004, 8:06 AM   #1
HPO

Last week I knew exactly what camera I was going to buy today. But I had to much time on my hand so I start reading and reading and well now I dont know what to buy. Future shop says one thing. Best buy says another and well Henrys says something else. So I figured I would come on this site and ask my questions.

Questions number 1:
I am looking for a digi camera that will take crisp pictures and also videotape?
Here are the choices:

HP Photosmart R707 5.1MP
Nikon Coolpix 5100 5.1MP Digital Camera
Fuji Finepix F610 6.3MP Digital Camera
Fuji FinePix E510 5.2MP Digital Camera

Or if there is something that is like that then please let me know. If you noticed these cameras price range are from $360 to
$399 Canadian plus taxes. So really something in that price range before taxes.

HPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:30 AM   #2

If you don't care about video then you have a few more choices but if you want video... I personally like the Sony W1, which I think provides the best bang for the buck.

HEre is a side-by-side comparison of your cameras (I picked the closest ones where your model wasn't listed), along with Sony W1 and Canon A95 (good but has low frame rate, short video):

comparisons

Key stats to pay attention to are the megapixels and sensor size (near the top), manual controls (near the middle), video capability (near the middle), and LCD size and resolution (near the end)...

I like W1 over the rest but the Sony W1 has few manual controls (eg. no aperature priority or shutter priority modes). I'm not sure if you care about that... However, W1 has bigger LCD with more resolution than others...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:34 AM   #3
HPO

Then dont worry about the video. As long as it has video htats all that matters. But really leaning towards picture quality. what can you say now about that. I will go read up on the W1. Thanks again in advance and hope that you reply soon to the newest reply.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 12:06 PM   #4

Both the W1 and A95 are great cameras, but unfortunatly they are above 399CAD...

Instead of the A95, u can look at the A75 or A85, both are in your budget and will produce very good picture quality along with a good share of manual controls. The downside is that the videos are limited to 30seconds in 640x480 and 10fps or 3mins in 320x240 and 15fps, if it suits you, then u can continue looking.

I noticed all your cameras had 5mp+, I wonder why this is so, what is the largest size you plan to print ? Not sure if you know, but number of megapixels does not mean quality of the pictures.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 12:07 PM   #5

Since you are in Canada, there may be some good boxing day deals today... Stores usually have some good deals on boxing day for electronics (but they may be sell out quickly)... check out Future Shop, Best Buy, etc flyers (or online) and see if you find anything good...

As far as video is concerned, I personally think that if you care about it at all, you need to go for [email protected] (or better). I think the video at 10fps/15fps, or 320x240, or only 10 second long video, and so forth, are useless. If you ever want to display the video on a tv (by burning to a CD/DVD or something), you really want high res and good frame rate.... Getting low res video, or low frate rate, or very short duration limitation is next to useless and you won't use it if that is case... just my opinion (I know others are ok with 320x240 res and stuff like that)... so I think you should go for VGA resolution (640x480)@30fps if you want video at all; otherwise video is just a gimmick and not that useful...

I personally don't think there is THAT much of a difference in picture quality between these cameras. For small prints, you likely won't notice much difference. There ARE differences (eg. some cameras saturate colours more) but these are really up to the individual (some people like rich colours that stand out; some don't). As long as Steve, or dpreview.com, or dcresource.com, among others, give good reviews for the pic quality, you'll be ok.

Anyway, check out the Canon A95 (not sure if that is outside your price range... might also want to check the cheaper A85 or A75)... if you want ultra-compact, the "best" ones IMO are Canon SD300 and Panasonic FX7 (but these may be outside your price range)... Hopefully others will give their picks...

BTW, your blue font is hard to read :?
Old Dec 27, 2004, 9:24 PM   #6
HPO

Well i went with the WI. Buying it on saturday. Thanks again. It proves that it was the best one for both the features. I would like to thank you in advance for the info. My last question as I would like to buy the memory stick before saturday since they are on sale only till the 30th. Would this memory stick do with the W1

Lexar SD1GB-266 1.0GB Secure Digital Card
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:59 PM   #7

"Lexar SD1GB-266 1.0GB Secure Digital Card"

The W1 does not use SD cards; it only uses memory sticks or memory stick pros.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 11:01 PM   #8
HPO

ok so out of those 2 you listed which one will allow me to record 30fps. cause I dont want 16fps. And it stated that one of those memory cards is needed to record at 30 fps. and thanks for the quick reply.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 11:03 PM   #9

I don't know if that memory card is compatible with your camera but it LOOKS ok. You should really ask someone with a W1 (or read W1 posts in the forum or something).

Lexar is one of the top memory card companies so the quality will be good (I actually use a Lexar 1GB 40x compact flash card with my Canon S1 IS--note that mine is compact flash, not SD). The only issue with memory cards is speed for video. Pics will be ok with almost any memory card but videos demand faster cards. I'm not really sure what the Sony W1 requires for its video :?: You need to make sure that the camera can record with your SD card.

On the positive, SD cards usually don't have problems with speed (generally, compact flash is what has a lot of incompatibilities--mostly because there is no standard ("high speed" could mean almost anything) and also because compactflash has a memory controller in the memory card whereas SD doesn't). Anyway, you will have to ask around and see if the SD card you have in mind will work fully with the W1. You can also try calling Sony and see what they say.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 11:07 PM   #10
HPO

I was looking at steves reviews and you can rotate the camera and on the camera it clearly states memory stick PRO. I am just going to have to go and call Sony ca tomorrow. That totally bites cause they are really expensive those ones. oh well. One last thing it says
Conversion Lens compatible

Does that mean the lens can be changed to something more powerful like a zoom lens. Sorry if I sound new. I asked that question cause I own the Nikon f75 with that long zoom so thats why i asked it.