Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 26, 2004, 9:59 AM   #1

I already happily own a superb camera, but it's a bit big for a night out at concerts and the size makes people freeze when used for street reportage. (yeah that big)

The Fuij F601 I owned was a good pocket size alternative, but image quality was far below the big camera and not usable for photo academy.

So I'm looking around for a fast, ultra responsive, with good iso 800 performance, smallish camera, if possible with cf card (which I already own and have every asseccoire to handle CF).

So the key question remains, how do they perform in real action? Looking at pbase, they both seem good. But how do they perform for concert photo's? Mid winter dark afternoon street photo's?
Is there really a 12 sec camera freeze on the Sony V3 when writting raw files??
Does the Fuij E550 locks up when writting raw files?
And is there another camera that should consider (except from pocket film camera)?

Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2004, 11:33 AM   #2

I don't think you are going to get good ISO 800 out of any of the consumer and prosumer cameras.

The main competitor to the Sony DSC-V3 is the Canon G6. Some liek the CAnon better; some don't. So do check it out...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 2:44 PM   #3

Thanks for the response. So you are saying I should not expect image quality improvement over a Fuij F601 wich produces only 1mP iso 800 images?

Old Dec 26, 2004, 8:22 PM   #4

Looking at the specs, it seems the Fuji F601 has 3 megapixels at 1/1.7" sensor (you are saying it only produces 1 MP @ ISO800. I'm not sure about how the camera produces 1MP out of its 3MP sensor. I'm guessing that the sensor is actually 1MP but produces 3MP through the superCCD interpolation technology).... The Sony V3 has 7megapixels on a 1/1.8" sensor...

The Sony sensor is slightly smaller(!) than the Fuji, yet it has way more megapixels (this is not a good combination: you want bigger sensor if you have higher megapixels). HOWEVER, the sensor technology in the modern cameras is more advanced so one would expect the situation to be not as bad. Overall, I would guess that you won't see much improvement over your Fuji at high ISOs (but do note that image quality may be better in other regards on the Sony V3).

Anyone else have any other opinions on how good the Sony or even the Canon G6 are at high ISOs compared to an older camera shooting at 1megapixel?
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 8:38 PM   #5

Thnaks. I also think my question needs some feed back of people who used either one of these camera's.
The Canon G6 is indeed a temting option to consider, if it wasn't for size and more important shutterlag.

So far I googled and read every report about either the Sony V3 and the Fuij E550 on-line. It seems the Fuij is a bit faster, but the Sony has better image quality and also works with CF cards. I'm curious if the fast writing times (for jpeg, raw file write times are slow with any pocket camera) also go if the Sony V3 is using a CF card.

Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:01 PM   #6

I feel you are mistaken if you think that the Fuji E550 is faster than the Sony V3. At best, the Fuji is above average but the Sony is exceptionally fast. TheV3 is, for example, 7x faster than the E550 in shutter lag.

Also, there are known issues with the E550's low-light performance which are far short of what the V3 delivers because of Sony's unique NightShot and NightFraming and AF technology which allows accurate (even foolproof) focusing in almost zero light.

You should have a look at the side-by-side sample images from both cameras at:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 11:15 PM   #7

Not quite sure where Meryl Arbing got the numbers, but the V3 is twice as fast at wide but close to the same at telephoto for shutter lag according to Imaging resource. Maybe the reference was to the pre-focus times, but the Fuji is under 1/10 second. Steve found the full delay almost as fast on the Fuji. He gives a shutter lag of 0.4 seconds for the Fuji and 0.3 seconds on the V3 – both fast.

The Fuji takes only 6 seconds to digest a raw shot. But raw mode isn't very good and you have to use 12Mp and decode it. JPG compression at 6Mp is too high.

You probably won't be happy with ISO 800 on either of them. These reviews have a night ISO 800 sample from both: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu...x_e550-review/
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_v3-review/
The Fuji review discusses the compression on the 550.

The G6 lens is an f-stop faster than either of the cameras you are considering. The reason it was suggested is that you can take the shot in the same light at ISO 400 that you would need ISO 800 on the others, and ISO 400 isn't great but not all that bad on the G6.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 8:16 AM   #8

Again the G6 is a fine camera. However http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/V3/V3IMATEST.HTM
shows that if we shift V3 and Canon G6 to same iso position (elsewere it was said that G6 highest iso is 640 just like the V3), G6 has nore noise on high iso. On low iso the G6 performs a bit better. Ad to that fact the longer shutter lag of the G6 and it makes a perfect camera for street reportage of people in siesta in Mexico. Looking at the reviews the V3 seems more usable to cover a demonstration in north Europe, in winter time.

Again this might not be true if used with CF card or other silly facts unmentioned, in that case the Fuij E550 might be a better option.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 9:40 AM   #9

Imaging Resource does very accurate timingsfor "shutter lag". They found that the Sony V3 has a pre-focussed shutter lag of only 1/100th of a second while the same setting for the E550 was closer to 7/100ths. That is still pretty good...but the Sony is exceptionally fast!

The E550 is a fine camera with many excellent features but, in all the reviews, speed was not one of the major strong points. Don't forget that advances in technology in new models like the V3 can make them faster than cameras that rely on older technology.

Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 11:14 AM   #10

I am an olympus user (2) and recently bought the E550 this camera is the best value camera in the market if used at 12Mp fine and downsized to 6Mp in good post processing offering all kinds of options.

jasm

http://www.pbase.com/jascm/start
jasm is offline   Reply With Quote