Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 26, 2004, 5:13 PM   #1

I want a DSLR that gives me a little manual freedom. I currently have a sony f828 ,and i love the cropping ability of 8MP ,but hate the 800 ISO noise.

I think i like the canon 20D but are there any other 8MP DSLR that can compare, and what about the nikon d70?Also what is a good basic lens to start with ,and a good telephoto?

r00022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2004, 8:18 PM   #2

r00022 wrote:
Quote:
I want a DSLR that gives me a little manual freedom. I currently have a sony f828 ,and i love the cropping ability of 8MP ,but hate the 800 ISO noise.

I think i like the canon 20D but are there any other 8MP DSLR that can compare, and what about the nikon d70?Also what is a good basic lens to start with ,and a good telephoto?

I moved up from the Sony F717 to the Canon 20d and couldn't be happier!

I've wanted the 10d for about a year, but wasn't really in a position financially or I didn't feel my skills warranted moving up to a dSLR, until the 20d came out.

Now, I'm thrilled I waited.

I find that with an SLR, I can more easily see the effects of changes to settings that I make. With the F717, I would always want to stay in manual mode, but didn't really see dramatic effects of, say, changing the aperture, or shutter speed, so I'd end up just setting the camera to automatic and let it do everything. With the 20d, the changes are very apparant.

You could also check out the Oly E300 (eVolt). Nice camera, 8mb, and self cleans the sensor.

I'd strongly suggest the 20d... blasingly fast! On/off is instant, 5fps, instantly displays images on LCD, fast and accurate focus... just a pleasure to use!

Also 20d performs GREAT at hi ISO speeds, for shots under dim/dark conditions.

Good luck!
JoshW is offline   Reply With Quote