Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 26, 2004, 6:32 PM   #1

I bought a nikon 4800 and I dont know if i am happy or not with it. I was thinking i could get a slr like camera for say 400 but I cant. I have an extra 50 dollar gift card from best buy so i could buy a camera from them for say 450 but i am not buying a camera for 450 unless its really worth it.

I take pics of my house, family, i have a newborn coming in april. I have had my first digicam so i am not a newbie. Help a novice... it would be greatly appreciated.

Let me add that it has to take SD as i already purchased an sd card from CompUSSR and i dont want to pay a restocking fee....

Adam aka Tbirdkid

tbirdkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2004, 7:04 PM   #2

What's wrong with the camera you have now? The camera you have now is perfectly capable of taking pics of your house, family, and newborn. If you aren't willing to state what it is that you don't like about it, then we can't suggest something that will satisfy your (unknown) needs.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 11:37 PM   #3

"I was thinking i could get a slr like camera for say 400 but I cant."

Sure, you can. In fact, you can get an excellent one with a 12x Leica lens and image stabilization. It's called the Panasonic FZ10, uses SD cards, and goes for around $400 on eBay.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:08 AM   #4

lucky2505 wrote:
Quote:
"I was thinking i could get a slr like camera for say 400 but I cant."

Sure, you can. In fact, you can get an excellent one with a 12x Leica lens and image stabilization. It's called the Panasonic FZ10, uses SD cards, and goes for around $400 on eBay.
I really wouldn't say that is "SLR-like". I think the only ones that are close to SLR-like are the high-end prosumers (eg. Olympus 8080, Canon Pro1, Sony F828, etc)...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 6:16 AM   #5

"I really wouldn't say that is "SLR-like". I think the only ones that are close to SLR-like are the high-end prosumers (eg. Olympus 8080, Canon Pro1, Sony F828, etc)..."

That's nonsense. None of them (8080, Pro1, Sony F828, FZ10)are true SLR's, but all are in the category which has come to be called SLR-like. What about the 8080, Pro1, and F828 makes them "more" SLR-like than the FZ10?
Old Dec 29, 2004, 3:26 PM   #6

lucky2505 wrote:
Quote:
"I really wouldn't say that is "SLR-like". I think the only ones that are close to SLR-like are the high-end prosumers (eg. Olympus 8080, Canon Pro1, Sony F828, etc)..."

That's nonsense. None of them (8080, Pro1, Sony F828, FZ10) are true SLR's, but all are in the category which has come to be called SLR-like. What about the 8080, Pro1, and F828 makes them "more" SLR-like than the FZ10?
You sort of have a point (especially if you look at FZ20--not FZ10) but my reasoning is...

The high-end prosumers offer the most features of any camera that is not a DSLR. In particular, here are some key features that seperate the high-end prosumers from the mid-end prosumers (eg. Panasonic FZ20, Canon G6, etc):

* usually the high-end prosumers are faster and are built better (for example, the high-end prosumers use hard plastic, better buttons, zoom rings, etc while the mid-end and lower consumers and prosumers use soft plastic and lame buttons)
* usually the high-end prosumers can the features that experienced amateur photographers would want (eg. raw image output, hot-shoe flash, etc)
* the lens on the high-end prosumers are generally the best found in any digicam (not counting DSLRs)...
* Finally and most importantly (and this is what seperates the high-end prosumers from the rest) the high-end prosumers have the largest sensors found in any digicam. For example, the present models have 2/3" sensor which is much larger than anything in any other digicam (not counting DSLRs). This usually means they can shoot at higher ISOs with less noise. GRanted, they also have more megapixels so it's hard to say how much better they are in concrete terms, but nevertheless, the high-end prosumers are the closest to DSLRs in terms of shooting at high ISOs IMO. Something like the Canon Powershot Pro1 will kill the Panasonic FZ20 when it comes to noise at high ISOs.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 6:48 AM   #7

"You sort of have a point (especially if you look at FZ20--not FZ10) but my reasoning is...The high-end prosumers offer the most features of any camera that is not a DSLR."

Of the 8080, Pro1, Sony F828, and FZ10, the FZ10 is the ONLY camera to have image stabilization.

"usually the high-end prosumers are faster and are built better...while the mid-end and lower consumers and prosumers use soft plastic and lame buttons"

The Olympus 8080, Canon Pro1, and Konica Minolta A2 have metal/plastic bodies. So do the Olympus 5060, Canon G6,Minolta A1 and FZ10.

"usually the high-end prosumers can the features that experienced amateur photographers would want (eg. raw image output, hot-shoe flash, etc)"

The 5060, G6, and A1 have raw image output and hot-shoe flash. The FZ10 has hot-shoe flash but does not have raw image output. The FZ20 doesn't have raw image output either, but it does have lossless TIFF which cranks out nearly 15MB files so there's plenty of information there.

"the lens on the high-end prosumers are generally the best found in any digicam (not counting DSLRs)..."

The lens in the 5060 is every bit the equal of the lens in the 8080. The lens in the A1 is the SAME as the lens in the A2. The FZ10 has a Leica lens...not too shabby.

"Finally and most importantly (and this is what seperates the high-end prosumers from the rest) the high-end prosumers have the largest sensors found in any digicam...This usually means they can shoot at higher ISOs with less noise...Something like the Canon Powershot Pro1 will kill the Panasonic FZ20 when it comes to noise at high ISOs."

Actually, it probably won't. In Steve's review of the Pro1, he said noise was "detectable" at ISO 100, "noticeable" at ISO 200, and "unacceptable" at ISO 400. Steve didn't discuss noise at the different ISO levels in his review of the FZ20; however, an article in the August issue of Popular Photography stated that noise in the FZ10 was "low" at ISO 100, "moderately low" at ISO 200, and "moderate" at ISO 400. (Supposedly, the FZ20 has less noise than the FZ10.) In the same article, the high-end prosumer A2 had "unacceptable" noise at ISO 400.

Tbirdkid said he couldn't get an slr like camera for $400. As I told him, he can; it's call the Panasonic FZ10.