Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 27, 2004, 8:26 PM   #1

I am ready to buy the w1 but want to be sure I'm making the right choice. I create handpainted glassware and beaded jewelry and need to be able to photograph both for emailing to customers and for my website. I have been using a Sony DSC-P7 with decent results. I'd like to stick with Sony because I use the video feature often with my 2 children.

Is Sony a good brand overall for long-length videos and macro shots? Then, is the W1 the best choice for the money in the Sony family? If I get the W1, do I get polarizing and macro lenses for it as well -- or can I digitally achieve the same results?

Help! -- And thanks!!!

Chele
chelendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:31 AM   #2

I've been using a DSC-W1 for a while now and like it alot.

The macro setting is good, I recommend no flash and manual adjustments.

The video option is 30fps at 640x480 limited only by your memory stick PRO size. (Standard memory stick gives you 15fps). I haven't seem many other digital cameras with such a nice video clip option.

Watch out for the video though, it just gobbles up memory space.

For recording video you may also look into a MINIDV Camcorder, my Panasonic can focus to about 1/4" (for real! Any closer and the lens barrel makes too much shadow) and the video cannot be compared, even to the DSC-W1. And the stills are very low at 640x480, but perfect for E-Mail & TV.

I use both regularly & hope I didn't confuse you more, just letting you know your options.
Pic-It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:42 AM   #3

Although I do not own the W1 it is a very good camera, but if your needs are to take pictures for websites/email and to make videos, then perhaps a mini-DV or a camera with less megapixels would suit you better ?

I do not know if I am talking sense here, but your 5mp pictures will NEED to be resized to something like 0.5mp. Sure enough this means you will be able to use lots of cropping or things like that. And surely if you also use the camera for "real" pictures, then stick with the W1 because it appears like a great camera.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:48 PM   #4

Thanks for the info! Will any of the added lenses be helpful to me? WOuld I notice the improvement with the macro lense if those close-ups are only for the web? Will a polarizing filter help reduce glare when I photograph glassware for posting on the web??

I will use the camera for regular family photos so I think that means that a MINIDV would not be good -- am I right??

I really appreciate your reply. This decision is a hard one!

Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:52 PM   #5

Thanks so much for the reply. It does make sense, but I do use the camera for regular family photos too -- so I think that means a MINIDV wouldn't be appropriate.

Using the W1, will it be difficult for me to reduced the file size for the web??

Old Dec 29, 2004, 8:10 AM   #6

Its very easy to resize the picture for the web/email, it takes less than a minute, its very easy.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 9:03 AM   #7

The problem with sonys.... memory card instead of sd or cf. That is why i didnt buy a sony.
tbirdkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:15 AM   #8

Yes, Memory sticks cost more, that's quite annoying... but since the camera comes with rechargeable batteries and a charger, it sort of compensates for the first memory stick you buy(depending on how big it is).