Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:17 PM   #1

I have always loved Kodak. My whole life. My current digital camera is a Kodak is OLD and 1 megapixel. And even though I get great pictures from it its time to move on because I am stuck at 4x6 pics.

A relative of mine got a kodak last year with 3.2 megapixal, 3 optical zoom (wont bother mentioning digital zoom). It takes unlimited video with audio. and her pictures are beautiful. Same with the video.

Ideally after a (SLR digital camera which will never happen) I want at least 4-5MP, at the VERY VERY least 3 optical zoom and unlimited video. I realize for video I should just get a digital camcorder, but thats not the point. I want to be able to record something fast with what i have. I am not talking taking this to my kids breakdancing compitions and taking video, just taking video of wierd clouds that suddenly moved in and might spout a tornado.

I almost bought a kodak 6 MP today, but a friend who just got a Canon A95 thinks I am very wrong in this so I second guessed myself. I have seen his new pictures and they are great. He did a lot of research before purchasing his camera.

I am a graphic artist, but i dont want to spend a lot of time enhancing my photos with photoshop to make them look better. I do enough of that at work. I just want a decent camera that I might be able to enlarge to a big size if I really like the photo. For under 350.00. Oh, and MAC compatible. Generally I am just taking pictures of my kid.. or statues of places i am visiting. Occasionally things of mine appear in my work in magazines, but thats not often. It has to be a special pic for that.

how do i decide which way to go? He said no one likes Kodaks, is that true? Where do I look for this? I can see reviews about canons, i can see reviews about kodaks. but how do i see people who have tried both? (I feel like this is the eternal MAC vs PC question)
AquaCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:28 PM   #2

Sounds like the eternal "Ford vs. Chevy Colt vs. Smith and Wesson Boxers vs Briefs" argument (most of which have little merit). Kodak has been making cameras for a hundred years (give or take), so I wouldn't worry too much about them being inferior to others. My brother's Kodak takes brilliant photos, and the only reason why I didn't get one for myself is that I wanted more zoom for wildlife pics, and it felt a bit funny in my hand.

If you like Kodak, then get one and don't sweat the decision. Your Canon-owning friend might think his is a better camera, but you won't be able to tell the pictures apart. I don't think you are "wrong" to get a Kodak - just different.....

PhilR.

p.s. If no one likes Kodak's, then why do they sell so many?
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:38 PM   #3

Every one of the big brands on the market can possibly give you good results, just do a little research using the 4 big reviewers sites, (Steve's Digicam, Dpreview, Dcressource and Imaging-ressource), check the pictures, read the good and bad points for each cameras. They all have some and you have needs which may be different from those of your friend.

For my part, I also own the A95 and I am very pleased with this camera, but I realize it has certain limits which may not please everyone and I understand it. So just find your needs and find the camera that fulfills your needs the best.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:42 PM   #4

[SoapBox Warning]

Depends on where you are, Kodak announced the closure of all theirfacilities in Canada and the associated layoffs of a large number of people.

For me this made them unpalatable and a non-entity in the photo industry. We have completely switched over all our chemical film and paper (yes, still do a lot of the old technology :-))mostly to Fuji and some to Agfa(Scala is an incredible film). I also would no longer consider any of their digital papers or cameras.

Sorry for the rant, feel kind of strongly about the issue.

[/SoapBox Warning]
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:47 PM   #5

Many of the Canon models have limited video so check out the limits (I think the A95 is limited when it comes to video). I'm just a newbie so take this for what it's worth: I would say that Kodak is inferior to Canon in general. But Kodak is usually a bit cheaper (for a given set of features) and is easy to use (Kodak is really aiming for ease-of-use IMO). However, it is MY OPINION that there is little difference between the major camera manufacturers (Koak and Canon would definitely be major) when it comes to pic quality at anything less than 8"x10". The average person really can't tell the difference between a Kodak vs Canon vs Sony vs Fuji vs whatever.

Since you seem to be comfortable with Kodak, going with another Kodak may be the easiest and safest; but if you want to try a different camera and see what's good, do check out Canon and Sony and whatever else you like.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:55 PM   #6

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
[SoapBox Warning]

Depends on where you are, Kodak announced the closure of all theirfacilities in Canada and the associated layoffs of a large number of people.

For me this made them unpalatable and a non-entity in the photo industry. We have completely switched over all our chemical film and paper (yes, still do a lot of the old technology :-))mostly to Fuji and some to Agfa(Scala is an incredible film). I also would no longer consider any of their digital papers or cameras.

Sorry for the rant, feel kind of strongly about the issue.

[/SoapBox Warning]

Well, I guess if one is from that icebox called Canada, it might make a difference.:lol:

Seriously though, I know what you mean - I stopped buying Levi's because of this same thing....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:59 PM   #7

That makes sense about them closing down plants making your choice easy.

I am in Chicago, and I dont need to buy kodak paper or supplies. With the exception of the camera and that there is someone there to return it to if I need to.

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate it!
Old Dec 27, 2004, 11:00 PM   #8

Nicholas, is your video unlimited on your A95?
Old Dec 28, 2004, 9:34 AM   #9

Here's one I can answer!!! I researched forever and debated between the Kodak 7440 and the Canon A85. First I purchased the Kodak 7440 (it won me over because of the bigger LCD screen.) I printed an indoor shot at the store, and my husband was not 100% pleased with it. It wasn't bad, but we were wanting gorgeous. So I returned it and bought the Canon A85 (we have a Canon AE 1 SLR that we have alwasy loved.) Anyway, we were hoping the pics would be as good as the SLR, but we were STUNNED at the quality of the Canon A85 photos. They are absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Perfect exposure, sharp, gorgous color. They are actually BETTER than the SLR photos. So my vote COMPLETELY goes to the Canon. The Kodak is a bit easier to learn--I think that is why many people like them so much. But the Canon is not difficult to learn at all. (I am a brand new digital convert---very very pleased.)

Pam P.
Pamp81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 9:42 AM   #10

Pam P,
thats exactly what i was looking for. someone who used both!

thank you so much!!!!

ok, i will definatly look more into cannon before writing them off.