Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 28, 2004, 8:41 PM   #1

I'm looking at buying my first digicam but I'm not impressed with the time lag between taking shots ( unless I go up to the D-SLR type ) I've been toldthe Canon PowerShot S1 IS the best. I really want at least an 8x optical zoom, image stabillzer AND fast processing to free up the camera for the next shot. What should I look at? Up to approx $700-800 AU

falcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2004, 8:59 PM   #2

The info you want can be found in the reviews. Since your requirements are fairly specific, you won't have a lot of camera reviews to wade through.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 1:13 PM   #3

Steve covers lag and cycle time in his conclusions, but Dave's tables are a little easier to compare information with:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...s1-IS-DATA.HTM
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/FZ3/FZ3A7.HTM
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/FZ20/FZ20A8.HTM

The S1 and FZ series are both very fast shot to shot in normal mode, with the FZs being ever so slightly faster. But the burst mode is better on the FZ series. I find I use that a lot even though the viewfinder goes blank. A 3 burst takes under a second and I seldom find the camera has moved off target in that time. It is great for getting a pelican just hitting the water in a dive or even getting that perfect expression.

Continuous auto-focus uses more battery but makes pre-focus available in almost all situations. You don't have to release the shutter and refocus if something moves while you are pre-focused. All of these cameras have super fast lag when pre-focused. Some people on the Panasonic board recommended batteries from Eagle Imports. A spare is $20 and mine seems just as good as the original for my FZ10. I'm sure there are decent aftermarket lithiums available Down Under. The batteries are small and easy to carry. Having a spare for the FZs is cheaper than buying a charger and 8 NiMH batteries for the S1, and you have to do that or alkalines will get pricey enough to inhibit your use of the camera.

I think if you heft a S1 with 4 NiMH batteries installed you will find it a lot heavier than the FZ3. The FZ3 is 3 ounces lighter empty, but the difference in battery weight is significant. The S1 is almost as heavy as the FZ20 with batteries installed. I think the FZ3 has a little better lens, but I doubt you would see any difference in normal use. I personally much prefer the controls on the IS1 except for the manual focus. I also like the articulating LCD even though it is small.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 5:01 PM   #4

Slipe, thanks for the links and the comparision. First time anyone has offered anything other than the brandI originally asked about. It seems the camera shops here in Aus just try to sell you what you askedabout rather than what you need. Appreciate the your help; cheers
falcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 3:46 AM   #5

The FZ20 might fit your requiremnets, but I believe the selling price is a bit more than the AUD$700-800 that you wanted. I think the duties and GST boosted the price a bit.
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote