Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:53 AM   #1

My wife decided to get me a new DSLR for Christmas but I haven't decided yet on what to get. Currently, we have a Sony DSC-P71 point and shoot. I've got an old Pentax SLR (had a Mamiya before that).

My shooting will primarily be: portraits, kids, landscape/nature (mountains, clouds, flowers, moon, star time-lapse/bulb shots), sports (kids), and architecture (I go to England usually every year and spend time shooting in Oxford, Cambridge, London, Stonehenge, when I'm not stuck in the libraries).

I want something with very little shutter lag, fast speed (1/4000 min. preferably 1/8000), long bulb time, great ISO range (minimum 100 to 1600), RAW as well as JPEG processing (and preferably w/ability to do both simultaneously), low noise. I will print everything from 4x6 to 16x20. I'd like to be able to do B&W in the camera rather than in processing, though that isn't a make-or-break requirement.

I've read all the reviews of all three cameras at dcresourse, steve's digicam, pop photography, digital imaging, MacWorld (I use a G4 PowerBook).

I'd prefer to spend under a $1000 (thus limiting me to the Rebel), though I can probably go up to $1600. What do you recommend and what lenses? I know if I go with the DReb I can get some decent lenses also because of the current rebate. If I go w/ the 20D what would be the best all-around zoom lens (the 18-55 that comes w/the kit or a Tamron or Sigma)?

Those of you who have two of these cameras, which would you recommend, based upon my needs/shooting habits above, and why?

Ted
TedSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2004, 11:05 AM   #2
Administrator

If you're really into it as your message would imply, then the Digital Rebel will be too limiting for you. It is a great camera but the inability to choose metering and focus modes really limits you. You would be much happier with the 20D, it allows you to set everythingas needed. I'll leave it for someone else to make somelens recommendations.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:24 PM   #3

Ah ok, your shooting covers a very wide gaumet with a bit of just about everything! On a 1.6 crop camerawhat you specifywould be covered by lenses of 10mm to about 600mmwith marcro, and tilt/shift for the architecture.

The 16*20 print requirement is interesting, are you printing yourself? There are very few home-ish printers capable of larger than 13*19. And low cost/highvolume digital output places usually end around 12*18. Pro labs that do larger are on the expensive side.

TedSherman wrote:
Quote:
My shooting will primarily be: portraits, kids, landscape/nature (mountains, clouds, flowers, moon, star time-lapse/bulb shots), sports (kids), and architecture (I go to England usually every year and spend time shooting in Oxford, Cambridge, London, Stonehenge, when I'm not stuck in the libraries).

I want something with very little shutter lag, fast speed (1/4000 min. preferably 1/8000), long bulb time, great ISO range (minimum 100 to 1600), RAW as well as JPEG processing (and preferably w/ability to do both simultaneously), low noise. I will print everything from 4x6 to 16x20. I'd like to be able to do B&W in the camera rather than in processing, though that isn't a make-or-break requirement.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:29 PM   #4

Oups for some reason I can't get edit to work today.

I'd go along with Steve, the 20D sounds like more of what you really seem to want.

And for lenses maybe something like the bigma (the sigma 50-500) covers a huge range :-)
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 5:38 AM   #5

Some first hand advice:

Give the Pentax *ist DS a look. I have one and I absolutely love this camera. It does 98% of what you want, costs just under $1000 with the kit lens, and I promise you'll love the ergonomics.

By the way, the Pentax *ist DS and the Nikon D70 use the exact same Sony CCD sensor.

jaynlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 9:29 PM   #6

Well, I finally decided: I went with the 20D and the Canon EF-S 28-135mm USM IS lens. Total deal, w/$15 lens rebate, comes to about $1750.

I was really torn on this because for that amount, I could have gotten the Rebel, the 28-135 (above), the 75-300 IS USM, and a $450 Celestron or Meade telescope (looked at 4-6 inch diameter, 750-1300mm focal length, F/5-f/13) and still have money to spend.

But when i checked out the 20D the other day, it just felt right and comfortable and I do like it's customizable features.

Thanks for your help, folks.

Ted
TedSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 1:43 AM   #7

why didnt you look at the Nikon D70, (for the money?)or did you just want to stick with canon? I am torn between the 20d and d70, looking to buy before the end of the month, just wondering ?? i have been looking for months and just can't bringmyself to make a decision!?!? thanks
sportshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 3:12 AM   #8

sportshots wrote:
Quote:
why didnt you look at the Nikon D70, (for the money?)or did you just want to stick with canon? I am torn between the 20d and d70, looking to buy before the end of the month, just wondering ?? i have been looking for months and just can't bringmyself to make a decision!?!? thanks
Hi

Go into your dealer, close your eyes or wear a blindfold, and pick each camera up in turn without knowing which one is which. Go for the one which feels best in the hand.

Brian
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote