Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 29, 2004, 4:10 PM   #1

Looking to get a new digicam, have and older nikon coolpix2500 i want to retire.

One thing thats really importened is RED EYES, my old cam gives me 99 off 100 pics with red eyes. 75% i will use thecam taking picture of my baby girl, so i really need a cam that doesnt give to much red eyes.

I also want a fast cam, that doesnt use to much time on taking the pics and starting.

How many megapixles do i need??? Some say you dont need that much and others say you need a lot.... confuses me....

I was looking to get the panasonic fx3, but then i got unsecure and read to much.

So i need a cam in the $ range as the panasonic i guess or less..

Please come with inputs......
illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2004, 8:18 PM   #2

illusion wrote:
Quote:
One thing thats really importened is RED EYES, my old cam gives me 99 off 100 pics with red eyes. 75% i will use the cam taking picture of my baby girl, so i really need a cam that doesnt give to much red eyes.
Read the reviews carefully here (at Steve's), dpreview.com, dcresource.com, megapixel.net, etc to see if the cameras you like have red-eye issues. Nearly all these sites test for red-eye.

Usually the smaller cameras (ultra-compacts) have red-eye problems (since their flash is located very close to the lens), while the larger cameras don't have as badly a problem with flash (because they usually have a pop-up flash which makes it further away from the lens). Nowadays a lot of cameras also have red-eye reduction lamps which reduce red eye.

Quote:
I also want a fast cam, that doesnt use to much time on taking the pics and starting.
Modern cameras are faster than ones from just two years ago. But they are still kind of slow and don't compare to film cameras, which are almost instantaneous. So the speed depends on the camera (overall they should be faster than what you had before)).

Quote:
How many megapixles do i need??? Some say you dont need that much and others say you need a lot.... confuses me....
Megapixels basically determines how big you can print (without deteriorating quality). The more megapixels, the bigger you can print. The quality needed for a particular print depends on the user (some people print at high resolution while some get away with lower res prints). Roughly speaking, 3 megapixels is good enough to print excellent 4"x6" and 5"x7" prints, and average 8"x10" prints (these numbers really depend on the quality you want but this is a rough number). If you want to print anything larger, you need more megapixels.

(Having more megapixels also gives your more freedom when cropping (i.e. cutting out a portion of a pic) so that's also another benefit).

For most users, who generally produce small prints, I would say 3 megapixels is sufficient, with 4 MP being on the upper side. If you want to print slightly bigger then I would say go for a 5MP camera. Anything above that is likely not benefitial to most users... 3MP is roughly the minimum you will find on new cameras, with 4MP and 5MP being standard on some of the very latest ones.

Quote:
I was looking to get the panasonic fx3, but then i got unsecure and read to much.
lol But getting more opinions, even if it confuses you, is good

Quote:
So i need a cam in the $ range as the panasonic i guess or less..
Please come with inputs......
What size camera are you looking for? Do you need something very small (ultra-compact), that you can carry in your pocket/purse anywhere? Or are you ok with a slightly larger one? Do you want manual controls or are you ok with having an easy-to-use camera with few manual controls?

The cameras that I like (not necessarily the best) across the whole market are the following (I don't have any of these cameras except the S1 IS so I'm just going by reviews and what my friends and others have. Also I generally go for cameras with good lens and good name so this means Sony, Panasonic, Canon, etc. Brands like Kodak, Konica Minolta, Casio, etc are cheaper so if money is tight try one of those ones):

ultra-compacts:
Sony W1 (best bang for the buck IMO)
Canon SD300 (one of the best ultra-compacts)
Panasonic FX7 (one of the best ultra-compacts)

compacts:
Sony P150 (good overall camera)
Canon S70 or S60 (small camera with a ton of manual features)
Canon A95 or A85 or A80 or A75 (good camera for general photography)

Ultra-zooms:
Canon S1 IS (I own this)
Panasonic FZ3 or FZ20 (best ultra-zoom product line)
Olympus C-770UZ (small ultra-zoom, but no image stabilization)

A lot of the ones I listed cost more than what you described but just look at an older or lower model if the price is too high (for example, Canon SD300 is kind of expensive so look at SD200 and see if that is any good)...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:02 AM   #3

Thanks for a very good reply, i will look into some ofthe thing you said.

How is it to use the ultra zoom cams on close up? It would be cool to have some zoom, when you are outside.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:16 AM   #4

I'd agree with everything previously posted, with these additions:

To really avoid red eye, consider a camera with a flash "hot shoe" so you can attach an external flash-- of course, the ultra compacts (and many of the "average" sized camaras) are not going to have this feature, but if you attach an external flash you get the flash much farther away from the lens and redeye is really reduced. Once again, these cameras will probably run on the high end, but it's one option if you REALLY want to reduce redeye.
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:49 AM   #5

The Panasonic FX7 might be an odd man out in the discussion. It is a small camera with stabilization, which might give the ability to take some available light photos without a tripod. That would completely avoid redeye.

Jeff at DCRP always has a redeye shot in his reviews along with his assessment of how much redeye the camera produces: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 12:42 PM   #6

illusion wrote:
Quote:
How is it to use the ultra zoom cams on close up? It would be cool to have some zoom, when you are outside.
Well, high zoom cameras are just like normal cameras except they have more zoom (10x vs 3x/4x on regular cameras). So the zoom cameras start out at wide-angle (1x zoom if you will) and that is sort of the same as a low-zoom camera. The details depend on the actual camera but usually you would go to the wide-angle (least zoom; 1x) to take pics of close up objects. So it isn't really any different.

BUT I would argue, although this is debatable, that low-zooms are better for close-up pics than ultra-zooms. If you are not going to use zoom then I would go with a low-zoom one.

Another thing is that the ultra-zooms are a little bigger than the compacts and ultra-compacts. If you go with zoom, you will sacrifice size. For instance, I don't think you can find an ultra-compact with 10x zoom.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 1:40 PM   #7

I dont care much about the size on the cam. I just want to spend my money on a good cam that will last (cams arent something i buy to often).

I wish we only had one cam to choose from.. much easier..:-)
Old Dec 30, 2004, 4:28 PM   #8

So how do you guys feel about the fuji finepix s5100? I just read a review on it, it stated that it didnt get many red eyes...
Old Dec 30, 2004, 6:51 PM   #9

illusion wrote:
Quote:
So how do you guys feel about the fuji finepix s5100? I just read a review on it, it stated that it didnt get many red eyes...
I highly value image stabilization so I would go with something like Panasonic FZ3 or Canon S1 IS over that (Fuji, as well as Kodak and Olympus don't have image stabilization). However I think the Fuji is a bit cheaper for its megapixels (if I'm not mistaken).

So I would recommend the Panasonic FZ3 if you care about still picture quality. If you care about video then the Canon S1 IS may be better but that would a tougher decision.

(Everything mentioned in this post are ultra-zooms, that are a bit bigger)
Old Dec 30, 2004, 7:39 PM   #10

Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:
Quote:
illusion wrote:
Quote:
Well, high zoom cameras are just like normal cameras except they have more zoom (10x vs 3x/4x on regular cameras). So the zoom cameras start out at wide-angle (1x zoom if you will) and that is sort of the same as a low-zoom camera. The details depend on the actual camera but usually you would go to the wide-angle (least zoom; 1x) to take pics of close up objects. So it isn't really any different.

BUT I would argue, although this is debatable, that low-zooms are better for close-up pics than ultra-zooms. If you are not going to use zoom then I would go with a low-zoom one.

Another thing is that the ultra-zooms are a little bigger than the compacts and ultra-compacts. If you go with zoom, you will sacrifice size. For instance, I don't think you can find an ultra-compact with 10x zoom.
I agree completely with Sivaram, nice information.

The ultra-zooms are much noisier at higher ISO speeds, so that must be taken into consideration. However, the Leica lens on the Panasonics is very, very nice.

I own an FZ10. I personally use a Sunpak 383. No redeye here.
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote