Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 30, 2004, 8:37 AM   #1

hi gang

new to the digital camera world so forgive me if this question is dumb. no dumb questions right. we got some spending money this xmas and have a baby on the way so thought it was about time for a digital. all the info can get quite confusing. here is my story

we have a slr camera that has a nice zoom and do enjoy taking photos with it. this is why we are leaning towards the fz20.

also thought that it would be nice to be able to crop and blow up some big photos. (probably only be a few). is the fz20 good enough or is the g6 a must.

we also like to travel quite a bit. might be cut down because of baby.

finally we have $300 store credit atfuture shop that doesn't sell fz20, big box store, g6 is$50 cheaper thanacross the road at henry's. henry's does sell both cameras and all accessories and have more knowledgeable sales associates.

what to do. any thoughts. i guess our main question is the zoom of the fz20 with image stabilization going to give us the same quality photos in the long run as the g6.

thanks for all your help and patience.
broomjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2004, 9:18 AM   #2

If you don't mind the more-than-normal red-eye photos taken with the built-in G6 flash, or don't mind to use an external canon flash to reduce the red-eye, then the canon G6 is definitely a good quality camera.

If you go for the G6, then you'll have to get a camera case that's big enough so that the on-off locking lever won't get pressed by the sides of the case and switches the camera on when you're slipping the camera into its case. I've found that the psc-70 case can give you problems. You can try it out for yourself actually. Hop to a local store...and put the G6 into the camera case...say 10 times. You'll know what I mean.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 4:22 PM   #3

oops-I posted this in wrong thread-here goes:
I have a 6 month old and recently bought the Z20 and LOVE IT. I,too, considered the Canon G6 as well as the SONY PSC-W3. To be honest, they ALL take awesome pictures so your decision will come down to other features like ultra-zoom vs. compactness. Even the Canon G6 is relatively compact, I did not like the "extended" grip on the Canon G6 (I have tiny hands)- it felt awkward. I also decided that I wanted to "zoom in" on our baby's face without blinding her with the flash which I often did with my Canon S410. It would also often lead to overexposured pictures which. I have already taken some "incredible" close-ups of my baby - you can email me and I can send you a sample so you can see the incredible detail. The Z20 is actually very light which compensates for its "large" size.
My only gripe with the camera is that the flash doesn't come on automatically - you have to remember to turn it on. But I'm getting used to it by now. I also really really liked the SONY W3. It can use compact flash card which is nice although you do need a STICK PRO to take advantage of its high quality video. I would go to your local Circuit City and hold all of them in your hands. If you look on eBay or online, you can get a custom fit case for the Z20 which you can just sling over your shoulder. I personally don't think any of the 3 cameras are "compact". Hope this helped you a little bit.
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 4:41 PM   #4

Hi thanks for your help

my email is [email protected]it would be great if i could see your photos

thanks again

broomjm
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:24 PM   #5

Future Shop doesn't carry FZ20? That's surprising given that they carry the FZ3...hmm...Anyway...

It's hard to compare cameras like these. You are basically comparing two different classes: ultra-zoom vs low-zoom prosumer. Here are my thoughts...

Both of these are somewhat big so the travel issue applies equally to both. It's not as if you are comparing an ultra-compact or compact to a larger camera so size isn't a big difference...

The megapixels on these is not going to make much of a difference (unless you print something REALLY REALLY large or you crop a lot). FZ20 is 5 megapixels and that is good enough for the needs of the general users.

I think your decision will come down to the situations in which you will use your camera. For example, the G6 is arguably better in low light than the FZ20 (especially at wide-angle). I have to double check but I think the G6 also has lower noise and better ISO performance than FZ20.

Since you seem to value zoom, I think the FZ20 may be better for you.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 12:02 AM   #6

thanx all

bought a fz20 tonight so far so good

broomjm

Old Dec 31, 2004, 12:59 AM   #7

I have both and use the fz20 at least 10 times as often as the G6.

Have fun playing with the new camera.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 6:37 AM   #8

Congratulations and welcome to the "z20" club !!!! I forgot to mention it's extremely high "FUN" factor - you'll see what I mean
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote