Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 30, 2004, 10:20 AM   #1

Hello Everyone,
I am planning to buy a low-end camera(atleast 3 MP) under $300 including batteries/charger/memory card.As it stands now the Nikon 3200 and Canon A75 fit into th budget, but i have certain doubts regarding them:
1)Which one is better 3200 or A75?
2)Can i use standard Alkaline AA(1.5V) batteries in any of the above cameras?
3)Which one's medai storage is better/preferred?

Secondly, if i stretch my budget by 20-25 Dollars i can go for a Canon A85 with a 1 GB Card!!!

What do you guys think i should go for?Wud be grateful for any help.
Regards,
DC.
darthcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2004, 10:45 AM   #2

Both those cameras have interesting capabilities... The Canon has more manual features and will let u grow with the camera; while the Nikon is more like a point and shoot, is more compact and has leaves very little room for the owner to adjust things.

Both cameras can use standard Alkaline batteries, but please think of our environnement and use NiMH batteries... Anyway NiMH batteries will last much longer on their 1st use and will last EXTREMLY long over a period of time, don't consider alkalines except for emergency situations.

Both SD and CF memory cards are excellent types, not costy and have lots of different speeds and can go to lots of memory. Currently I'd say they are the 2 best choice for memory.

basicly both cameras are good, but for different reasons and find the way u will use the camera the most and u will know which camera will suit u best.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 10:48 AM   #3

from what ive seen the 3200 is good! dont know about the A75
Phatol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:21 AM   #4

Hey All thanx for ur interest,

Well, I'll be mainly using the camera to post pics on the net and to ake the occasional print, but that will be as i said occasional.
I'd like to know about the Cannon A85 and if it is worth to stretch my budget a little and go for it(from what i understabd the A75 and A85 are one and the same but for the MP difference), as i wud be able to take 8X10 prints if i buy an A85.
Also, i'd be greatful if someone cud suggest the better one between Nikon3200 and Canon A75.
I am confused, shud i go for the A85? Or stick to Canon A75/Nikon 3200?
Help me out guys,
DC.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 12:48 PM   #5

The A75 or CP3200 will both be able to make prints of 8x10 that will look very good. So, IMHO spending more for the A85 is not worth it.

Back to the A75 vs CP3200, it truly depends on 2 things. How important is the size/portability of the camera for you ? If you can take bigger, then most likely the A75 will be better. Do you want the camera to do all the thinking for you(CP3200) or do u want to have the possibility to choose(A75) ?
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 10:37 PM   #6

Hey All,
Thanks guys and thank you nicolas for your precise answer,i think that solves my issue...i think i have decided what to go for..the canon A75 .
Regards,
DC.
PS:Can i use the A75 as a webcam(like the Nikon 3200)?
Old Dec 30, 2004, 10:42 PM   #7

Darth ... don't use Alkaline batteries unless it's an emergency and you really have to use them. The reason is ... digital cameras drain alkalines faster than you can sneeze. I'm not kidding. This is the reason why you should use NimH batteries of the same size...ie if your camera takes AA batteries, then get NimH (nickel metal hydride) batteries of the AA type. These are rechargeable, and they have much much higher charge capacity than alkalines.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 11:36 PM   #8

Hey Kenny,
Many thanks for sorting that out, now i will go for the NimH batteries only.But could anyone clarify if i can use an A75 as a webcam?Also there are many NimH batteries like 1800mH,2000mH etc..which ones should i go for?
Happy New Year Everybody,
DC.