Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 3, 2005, 12:34 PM   #31
Administrator

Ryan:

I'd check the sample photos in the reviews here.Sometimes they include photos taken at different focal lengths, so that you'll have a better idea of how optical zoom impacts your angle of view. Don't go by the 3x, 4x, etc., numbers. Instead, compare them by their 35mm equivalent focal lengths.

It's probably a good idea to "test drive" models you are considering in a store, too. It's hard to judge things like amount of zoom needed, autofocus speed/reliability, cycle times between photos, viewfinder usability, ergonomics, etc., unless you try one out -- if you don't have prior experience with cameras. You will see some of these things mentioned in the review conclusion section here that you can use to get a better idea of how they compare.

As far as shutter speeds you'll be able to obtain (I noticed you asked about this earlierin the thread), this will depend on available light, the maximum available aperture of the lens, and ISO speed.

In other words, just because a camera *can* shoot at 1/1000 second, doesn't mean that you can actually use this shutter speed (because the camera must keep the shutter open long enough for proper exposure of the image -- otherwise, you'll have an undereposed photo if you try to use shutter speeds that are too fast if lighting isn't good enough).

As far as higher priced models (you asked about the next level up), you may want to consider a DSLR, too. These can shoot at much higher ISO speeds with lower noise compared to the non-DSLR models. They also focusfaster, and generally give you a more usable viewfinder (the "ultra zoom" models use Electronic Viewfinders that can be less than desirable for shooting action events -- whereas the DSLR models use an Optical Viewfinder).Of course, lens selectionis very important - with brighter lenseswith longer focal lengths becoming larger, heavier and more expensive.

The two lowest priced DSLR models are the Canon Digital Rebel and the Nikon D70 (with the Nikon being a little better suited for Sports -- since it has a faster frame rate, and a larger buffer for more photos in a row before slowing down, as well as some features missing from the Digital Rebel).

As for your B&W requirement,you're better off shooting in color, then using software to convert to B&W later (that way, you'll be able to choose which is best for a given photo). So, I wouldn't let this feature impact your decision.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 1:20 PM   #32

snap wrote:
Quote:
ok well i didnt mean to make anyone mad or expect you to hold my hand and yes ive been doing lots of research and browsing tech corners, forums, everything because not only must i learn aobtu this i WANT to with a passion.and how else would i have found the forum in the first place? but i figured if you guy`s had a quick link you could throw it my way or just take a whole *gasp* one mintue of your time to help me that wouldent be a problem.i guess it would though so ill take my questiosn somewhere else but i thank you for the help you did give guy`s.

best regard`s

Ryan

There is no need to run away. I enjoy helping people who do their research. What I, and I would think many others, do not enjoy is answering question after question after question, typing huge posts, while the questioner types these little itsy bitsy posts. I like to help people who provide links to reviews, ask questions about them, compare cameras side-by-side, compare features, list pros and cons, and generally have a feel for what they're doing. I also like people who use the search button. You won't find people crawling over eachother to hold someone's hand anywhere. What you will find are people willing to help you if you help them.
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 1:21 PM   #33

thanks for the wonderfull replyjim, i appreciate it veary much . Today i will beable to visit a few stores to check otu some cameras and get soem hand`s on experience with them. ill be gonig to wal-mart (probably notthe bets placeto buy but i can look at them there none the less, best buy,and comp usa among a few other stores. hopefully they will have the cameras im looking into wich are so far

canon g6

sony dv3

panasonic fz20

nikon d70

canon digital rebel

what are some other in my price range i may want to check out? i looked into the pentax ist* DS and i heard people choose it over both the dto and the digital rebel.after soem more searching and studying i came upon another great tutorial site, it hepd me grasp a bit more in my quest for photo facts heres the link...

http://www.silverlight.co.uk/tutorials/toc.html

and yes im still trying to fidn the best cameras from 650 $ ,750$ , 850$ then 1000$. because it all depends on how big our check is on what camera i will be able to get and i would like to KNOW what camera im geting when i see how much i have.anyway`s ill be off the the stores at 4:00 p.m my tiem wich is in 4 1/2 hour`s so ill do some more searching and hopefully get some feedback from you guy`s.Thank`s again for everything.

Ryan
snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 1:53 PM   #34
Administrator

Ryan:

The new Pentax *ist DS looks like it will be a promising new model in the entry level DSLR market segment. It's using a Sony CCD (as is the NikonD70), and has the distinction of being the smallest and lightest DSLR on the market.

I'll reserve judgement on it until seeing thorough reviews that include pros and cons from professional reviewers like Steve here.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 1:54 PM   #35

Honestly if you don't need much zoom at the momentI'd try to jump onto the dSLR bandwagon (Nikon D70 or the Canon dRebel). Get the brand whose lenses you like best, as that'll be your next investment and bodies always change while lenses are kept for a long time.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 2:00 PM   #36

ok well that clears alot of thing`s up just for the fact that im looking more at the lenses now , but then i run into another problem, i know absolutely nothnig abotu lenses and dont know where to start, there arent reviews on them or places to go to really look at them, even then i coudl be given a whole list of pro`s an cons abotu each and not know what any of it meant so to make it simple, what camera would be better for action, lot`s of nature / architechture shots? im really leaning towards the D 70 at this point.thanks again and ill see what i can find out about them.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 2:15 PM   #37

I would have to say that the D70 looks to be your best choice considering it's speed and your sample pics. And if you can't afford a DSLR, I'd say to go with the G6, I've heard nothing but good things about it.

However, I have a bit of a bone to pick with you. I may be relatively new to this site, but I have to agree with tacticalnuke on a few things Ryan, you could be a little more respectful to people trying to help you. Additionally, I think it is pretty hypocritical of you to berate [email protected]about his/her grammer when your own often leaves more than a bit to be desired. I don't mean to be rude, but it would be nice...

Regardless, best of luck with your search! -Jack
Jack B. Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 2:21 PM   #38

hmmmm, i dont see how i berated him? by edit i meant to delete and replace with moved to another post because if peopel started replying to his here too it would confuse others and myself on what reply is meant for who etc, i didnt mean anything anything about his grammer , and how was i being disrespectfull ? not angry or anythnig just curiosu as i do not mean to make anyone mad or belittle others.....

Ryan
Old Jan 3, 2005, 4:10 PM   #39

Actually, I agree with snap getting angry at that guy. That's called "thread crapping" for a reason.

Now that we've all made our points, let's move on and get this dude hooked up with a camera.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 4:20 PM   #40

thank`s and yeah enough wit hthe power show lol....ive decided on a few cameras o far as solid choices. (but im sure it could be wavered lol)

650 $ camera -- canon g6

750 $ camera --?

850$ camera --?

1,000 $ camera is nikon d70

althoguh i dont know much about lenses from what ive seen and heard nikon is the way to go for action shots and fast shutter speeds and over all quality. besides its not like im gonna be totally disapointed with nikon as im sure their lenses will do me just fine.

i dont really know where to go with cameras that are in between these two as i dont know the top competetors for the spots are,im sure ill find them out though and i once again thank you for all your great help . im off to the local electronic stores to check otu soem cameras , ill be looking for feel ,zoom qualities ,manual options,and just geting a feel for the cameras.ill report back when im all done , but untill then my pizza`s doen ..yay ! lol . have a great day everyone and wish me luck :lol:.

Ryan