Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:14 PM   #1

hello ladies and gentlemen, well ive been browsing and vearry interested in photography for years now but untill now i havent had the fund`s to buy my own camera. but the tiem has coem and i have aroudn 650 $ to find the best camera i can get for the price. considering i had to pratically beg to get it from 500 to 650 i dotn think there will be any compensateing in that department. I have had no previous experience with cameras but am more then willing to learn and listen to everything thrown at me.but yeah i know nothnig about cameras and dotntwanan go out and be talked into a super high dollar camera that has pictures that look like they have been run over a few hundred times. id like nice clean pictures and something with black and white capabilites would be a HUGE plus as i absolutely LOVE black and white photos.all help will be greatly apprciated.

best regards

Ryan
snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2004, 8:32 AM   #2

snap wrote:
Quote:
dotn wanan go otu and be talked into a super high dollar camera that has pictures that look like they have been run over a few hundred times.

Fortunately for you, nothing like that exists. At this point, there are about 500 cameras out there that will satisfy your limited requirements. In order for us to be a bit more specific, you should let everyone know how many megapixels you need. If you don't know, then let us know what is the biggest print you would make, and we can recommend a megapixel size for you. How much zoom would be nice to know as well. Is movie capability important to you? Is size of the cameraimportant? Are you limited in the brand selection where you live?

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 11:03 AM   #3

ok , sorry about being so vague.but ill try to clarify it some, size isisnt important ,although a big camera that fits in my hand when gripped would be nice, but like i said id choose quality over comfort.and brand isint a factor i just want the best bang for the buck.i would like high quality pictures because what good would it be if i got pictures that looked like regular disposable camera pictures? as for print size wise it would be anything from regular picture print size to umm maybe a 8 X 10 now and then?and im really looking forward to geting into photography heavily so it would have to be something i could grow with and not something someone would just be takeing regular photo`s with, i will be takeing alot of nature and action photo`s ,mostly action and ive tried with with disposable cameras (lol i dunno why) but all i got was a big blur (no surprise there). i hope this helps and i will be more then happy to anwser any question you have about my situation.

best regards

ryan.

Old Dec 31, 2004, 11:08 AM   #4

o yeah and zoom dosent really matter to me but a bit would be nice to have, i dunno how much 1 x 2x 3x 4x + would actually zoom in. so yeah maybe 3x im guessing? but its not really important.
Old Dec 31, 2004, 11:09 AM   #5

Are you looking for a lot of zoom?

With action and nature photos, zoom is a plus. However, lighting is an issue. The ultra zooms have small sensors which need more light (or rather, at higher ISOs to compensate for light they have more noise).

If you want a lot of zoom, I'd go with something like a Panasonic FZ20. If you need low-light then that's another issue as this camera is not considered good in low-light. For sports pictures, though, this will do quite well, especially because you can really zoom up.

However, if you're using a tripod you have a larger selection of cameras (ones without IS). Are you going to be using a tripod?
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 11:53 AM   #6

i will be investing in a NICE tripod and accesories,but i would also need to be able to take it off the tripod for ground shots and stuff, here are some links to the type of photography i will be doing.

http://www.a-i-p.net/skate.htm

http://www.frenchfred.com/

just browse the sites and youll get a idea on the type of pictures i woudl like to achieve.thanks again

ryan

Old Dec 31, 2004, 11:59 AM   #7

although i know i wont be geting these kinds of picturesfor awhile, i dont see where zoom really comes into play. but then again i know nothing abotu it .i appreciate all your help.

Ryan
Old Dec 31, 2004, 1:07 PM   #8

snap wrote:
Quote:
i will be investing in a NICE tripod and accesories,but i would also need to be able to take it off the tripod for ground shots and stuff, here are some links to the type of photography i will be doing.

http://www.a-i-p.net/skate.htm

http://www.frenchfred.com/

just browse the sites and youll get a idea on the type of pictures i woudl like to achieve.thanks again

ryan

If you're going to take pics without a tripod I'd recommend IS. I'm partial to IS, but it's really something I don't think an ultra zoom should be without.

Zoom is just for reaching out and touching someone. You can be farther away and it'll seem from the pictures like you're closer.

The type of photography of which you posted pictures is more suited to dSLR cameras ($1000+). That's not to say it can't be done, but you must know that you will reach the limits of the camera and may be disappointed.
Old Dec 31, 2004, 1:23 PM   #9

ok so those pictures are more then likely outa the question but my money is still the same only 650 or so , so what would you recomend considering my current info i gave you.thnaks again

Ryan
Old Dec 31, 2004, 1:29 PM   #10

snap wrote:
Quote:
ok so those pictures are more then likely outa the question but my money is still the same only 650 or so , so what would you recomend considering my current info i gave you.thnaks again

Ryan
It's not that those pictures are out of the question, they're just difficult no matter what camera, especially a point and shoot because of the slow auto focus.

You need to determine if you need zoom or not. If you do I'd personally go with an FZ20 or 15, or even the 3 (the latter two have no hotshoe). If you want good movies get the Canon S1 IS. It's personal choice. I'm partial to the Panasonic but that's because I own it. The Canon is basically only an option if you NEED good movies from the camera.

The Panasonic has an on-camera true black and white mode (not color converted to grayscale) although you can post-process any digital image to this. It is convenient for checking the shots out right away, though and it's one less thing you have to do.