Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 31, 2004, 7:29 AM   #1

I am having a bit of trouble deciding on the right camera. My budget is $300 but I suppose I could splurge to around $340 if I needed to. I'd like this camera to have 4-5MP, ability to add in a wideangle/tele and filters.

Ideally, I'd like the camera to have a lot of manual controls and advanced functions.

Opinions or Suggestions?
Cirrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2004, 8:29 AM   #2

Well, all that you stated you wanted seems to fit perfectly with the A95, the only point where I am unsureif you counted it. With the A95, you need to buy 1 set of rechargeable NiMH batteries(Ideally 2 sets), an intelligent charger(if you don't already have one) and a bigger CF card(probably 256mb+ since 128 costs about the same as 256).

Besides that, the A95 is able to take great pictures. Here is a small idea of pictures I was able to take: http://nicolas7894.fotopic.net/c341553.html

But it has some weaknesses and here is an idea of what to get(watch mostly F2.8__ISO100.jpg), http://nicolas7894.fotopic.net/c343808.html
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 8:46 AM   #3

I agree, the more I look at the A95 the more I like it. The only issues I have with it is like you said the batteries and I'm not a fan of the design.

Old Dec 31, 2004, 9:07 AM   #4

Just as a little note, the batteries are not a problem... it just means you have to pay more... but honnestly they seem to last for an eternity and in the worst scenario, you can just buy 4 alkaline or lithium batteries and finish your day.

As for the design and the size, I think its really important that you like it, cuz if its too big for you, you won't use it and if u don't use it, then the camera is even worst than a disposable camera.

You can also look at the Sony W1, Canon A85, Nikon CP5200 and Panasonic FX7.
Old Dec 31, 2004, 9:19 AM   #5

It's not size thats a factor, its the form. I looks bland and the the exact same as the rest of the line.

I know I'm splitting hairs here and the design won't influence my purchase. But its my opinion.
Old Dec 31, 2004, 9:21 AM   #6

Well, for the design, its what made me purchase it, because I liked the way it was, I liked the fact it was not so small...