Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 31, 2004, 4:24 PM   #1

I will be taking photography classes next year. I will need a camera with full manual controls. I am not sure how many pixels i will need for photography class so any advice is good. Right now I am considering the Panasonic FZ15 or the Casio Ex pro600. They are both in my price range and have great reviews. Please give me your comments.
HRTBRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2004, 4:59 PM   #2
rp3

With the camera you mentioned, you may also want to consider Canon's S60/S70 series. I think the question you may have to ask is what kind of zoom you want. The casio is a 4x and the panasonic an ultrazoom. The bodystyle of the camera is dictated by the zoom choice you make.
rp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 5:27 PM   #3

If you have a limited budget, you can get a much more advanced film camera for the same money as a simple digital. For a photography class, any camera with manual controls would do to learn the basics and the prices of film SLRs are quite reasonable.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 8:09 PM   #4

The FZ15 would be an excellent choice.

However, you might want to contact the school you're attending and see if they have specific recommendations.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 12:37 AM   #5

It would be a great conveniencefor use digital instead of film because i would immediately see the picture i have taken on the lcd, so I will get digital. Anyway I am not sure about the EVF of the panasonic fz15 because it does not "gain up" in low light situations.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 12:35 PM   #6

Have a look at the Sony DSC-V1 or the Nikon 5400..Both sell around $280..Great manual controls.. Nothing else can come close in price..
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 12:42 PM   #7

chrisdsa wrote:
Quote:
Have a look at the Sony DSC-V1 or the Nikon 5400..Both sell around $280..Great manual controls.. Nothing else can come close in price..
Those look like very interesting cameras. I did a quick check, but didn't see anyplace that had them for $280. Can you tell me where you saw that price?

thanks,

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 5:11 PM   #8

hmmm... the nikon 5400 $200 rebate seems to have ended. so i cant get that. I will go and check out the Sony V1.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 5:26 PM   #9

Checking the LCD after each shot (a practice known as 'chimping') isn't the learning tool that you might think it is. The LCD is too small to adequately assess the shot. Even critical focus is difficult to see on the LCD.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"It is much better for you to be able to image the shot through the viewfinder and know then what it will look like. With practice you will know whether you have got the shot or not without having to look.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote