Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 1, 2005, 3:19 AM   #1

I am planning to buy a digicam for the first time. going thru numerous reviews, I have came to a shotlisting of Sony and Kodak.

Despite having great features, i have not selected Canon, because of the limited 30 second video recording.

Sony DSc W1 and DSC P100 are under selection and Kodak DX6490 and DX6440 are under sonsideration.

I feel sony memory sticks are other accessories are expensive compared to SD memory.

DSCW1 has a limited video recording time or it's limited by memory?

Please, can you pleople, the expert could help me advising tp choose between the above models?

Please advise
rajeshkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2005, 2:29 PM   #2

A little more information please. What are you planning to do with it? is you primary focus on family, the kids? are you planning to edit the movies you take with your camera? are you planning to print out the pictures you take?

I am asking because each camera will excel in diffrent areas. I reccomend the kodak w/printer dock if you plan on printing alot of pictures. It's great for family use and for users who are not very computer savy since you do not need a computer to print out pictures w the printer dock. haveing the dock means your batery is always at 100% capacity and charged. when done just seat it on the printer dock. the pictures are good. however it shortcomings are the movie mode. quicktime movies usaually needs to be converted before burned to a CD to play in a DV player or to be used with editing software. it's also only 15fps

The Sony's on the other hand do not have the printer dock. However it makes up for it with it's movie mode. it has 640x480 30fps. If this is a feature you are thinking of using or burning to a DVD or editing, it's already in MPEG format and at 30fps it's hard to beat that quality. Pictures arealso good.
dsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 11:43 PM   #3

I have a DX6440 and just bought the DSC-M1 to replace it...there's no comparison...Sony quality and features blow away Kodak..I'm not impressed with Kodak products at all...I found the DX6440 to be slow, big, avg. quality, and non-impressive in regards to video...

The M1 is a dream for those of us who want EXCELLENT video and EXCELLENT quality pics in a really small size!

Headless
the-headless_horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:43 AM   #4

Thanks a lot friends,

For dsherman' s question, I would be using it mainly for family and kids, and outdoor sceneries. I am intereseted in the field, and would be trying to improve my skills.

Very few them will be printed, and can get it done from outside. So I needn't a printer dock.

Thanks horseman, for your feedback.

One more question, my budget seems to be tight, so that I might have to forget DSCW1 and go forDSC p73. Would that be a foolisg decision?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance,

Rajesh

rajeshkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 7:46 AM   #5

rajeshkr wrote:
Quote:
Thanks a lot friends,

For dsherman' s question, I would be using it mainly for family and kids, and outdoor sceneries. I am intereseted in the field, and would be trying to improve my skills.

Very few them will be printed, and can get it done from outside. So I needn't a printer dock.

Thanks horseman, for your feedback.

One more question, my budget seems to be tight, so that I might have to forget DSCW1 and go forDSC p73. Would that be a foolisg decision?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance,

Rajesh
Depends on you. P73 is a nice camera. read steves review as well as

http://www.dcresource.com/

and

http://www.imaging-resource.com/

I find the above 2 sites to be very picky and prolly a ittle more opinionated then most. it's one reason I look at them to get a feel for any quirks of the camera. Steves is the best because steve give you the basic nuts and bolts and straightfoward technology and leaves the opinions up to you.
dsherman is offline   Reply With Quote