Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 1, 2005, 6:10 AM   #1
jbr

Hello, I am am deciding on purchasing a new digital SLR camera and I am caught between two cameras: The Pentax *ist DS and the Nikon D70. My question is which is best overall? I understand Pentax doesn't have a big name like Canon or Nikon. I have found nice packages for each of these camera's very close in price range(Nikon D70 was just a little higher in cost.) I would really appreciate some opinions :-) Thanks!
jbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2005, 6:51 AM   #2

Well, between these two cameras, I'd clearly say... the Pentax. Surprised? Here's why:

Size: The pentax is MUCH smaller and IMHO much better ergonomically. The D70 is a MONSTER. Make sure you hold one before you buy. Do you really want to carry around this much camera? The Pentax is the perfect size in my opinion.

Sensor: The Pentax and the Nikon D70 use the EXACT same Sony CCD sensor. Don't let anyone tell you the Nikon takes better pictures.

Viewfinder: The Pentax viewfinder is much larger and brighter than the Nikon.

LCD: The Pentax has a very nice 2" LCD that beats the Nikon (and really beats the Canon 20D)

Batteries: Personal choice, but I prefer the flexibility of AA rechargeables and like not having to carry around somebody's proprietary charger.

Ergonomics and Menu/Controls: The Pentax is really well thought out here. Very easy to use. Nikon is just OK.

Focusing: The Pentax has an 11-point AF system. Nikon is 6 I believe. In the real world they work equally well though.

Now, the Nikon is better known, probably has more lense choices (although Pentax has many lenses too, plus Sigma makes a lot of Pentax mount lenses.) The Nikon will probably also have better resale value if that matters. Also, the Nikon has a faster flash synch.

jaynlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 5:33 PM   #3

Nikon has experience in making lenses and takes excellent pictures. I'd go with Nikon for their superb lens quality.
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:38 PM   #4

strong arguement , and once again it makes me think abotu me decison on buying the D70.
snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:43 PM   #5

Well, Pentax also has experience with making lenses that take excellent pictures. Some argue that Pentax makes some of the best lenses in the world...at prices less than comparable Nikon or Canon EF-L Lenses.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/co...02-05-02.shtml

http://www.ppmag.com/ (see 2004 Hot1 Award Winners).
liwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 12:21 AM   #6
Administrator

jaynlisa wrote:
Quote:
Sensor: The Pentax and the Nikon D70 use the EXACT same Sony CCD sensor. Don't let anyone tell you the Nikon takes better pictures.
Just because two models have the same sensor (which may or may not be exactly the same between these two), doesn't mean that the image quality will be the same.

You've got many other factors with a camera that impact image quality (the supporting chipset used, metering accuracy, autofocus speed/reliability, image processing algorithms, etc.).

You can't judge the image quality you'll get from a camera based on it's sensor alone.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 10:58 AM   #7

jbr,

I'm looking at the Pentax myself, but I already have a Pentax film SLR with three lenses so my choice has been narrowed greatly. I would suggest that you go to a camera store and see both cameras in the flesh, pick them up and work with them a little. I've found that the operation of the Pentax is a bit more intuiative and less cluttered than some other cameras I've looked at plus the size, feel and weight of the DS is more to my liking. You may feel different but you should make an effort to tinker with each camera before you buy.
Macgirl is offline   Reply With Quote