Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 1, 2005, 1:59 PM   #1

What are the pros and cons of each one? I'm looking to buy one of the two.

Nikon's lens goes to 70 mm, Digital Canon is only upto 50 mm. The price differential is about $300. If I buy the Rebel, I can get a 50mm-300mm lensfor the Digital Camera with the$300 saved.

Some people say the Nikon lenses are better in general. Especially, the D70's over the Rebel.D70 gives about 2 more frames per second in burst mode than the Rebel.

My use - mainly buildings and people (portrait, fashion).

What is your advice? Thanks in advance.
TomSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2005, 3:48 PM   #2

TomSawyer wrote:
Quote:
What are the pros and cons of each one? I'm looking to buy one of the two.

Nikon's lens goes to 70 mm, Digital Canon is only upto 50 mm. The price differential is about $300. If I buy the Rebel, I can get a 50mm-300mm lens for the Digital Camera with the $300 I saved.

Some people say the Nikon lenses are better in general. Especially, the D70's over the Rebel. D70 gives about 2 more frames per second in burst mode than the Rebel.

My use - mainly buildings and people (portrait, fashion).

What is your advice?

Thanks in advance.
This has been asked a lot. Do a search. If after the search you need a bit more advice, post again.
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 4:14 PM   #3

I don't know much about DSLRs so take it for what it's worth...

Usually people select a DSLR based on the system that they would like to use. For example, people buy a Canon DSLR more for its lenses and future advantages, more so than the present camera; or people buy a Nikon because they want to start using the Nikon lenses and stick with that for the future, rather than just buy a Nikon for the present.

I think you should figure out which lens system you like better and go for that. Most DSLR owners end up spending much more on the lenses than the camera itself. Once you buy a lens (which are usually expensive if you go for the good ones), you are stuck with that and you will keep using that system.

On another note, I think the Nikon D70 is superior to the Digital Rebel. The Nikon is in a higher price bracket. I think the Nikon's true competitor is the Canon 10D (actually, the Nikon seems to be located between the 10D and the 20D--it's superior to 10D but inferior to 20D it seems). I'm not a DSLR user and I'm just going by reviews and what others say...

Anyway, as tacticalnuke suggests, there are a ton of threads on the Nikon D70 so check them out (a lot of those threads have people comparing the D70 to 300D (Rebel), 20D and the 10D).
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 7:32 PM   #4

I bought a D 70 in June and love it.The presets are awesome

Good luck with your search

Cindy
Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote