Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 1, 2005, 7:30 PM   #1

I have read reviews here at steve's digicams,dpreview, dcresource, imaging-resource, morman koren, luminous landscape, outbackphoto, bobatkins.com, and now find myself overwhelmed with info and confused. I am a novice amateur with little knowledge of photography and have been using a Kodak DC4800 for several years. I enjoy using auto p&s modes and know I will have to read and learn a lot about photography while learning the features/applications using a digital slr.

I love just shooting pictures at family events(30% of use), shooting nature(20% of use), and taking shots at my granddaughters dance recitals and my grandson playing baseball and basketball(50% of use).

I recently took my old Olympus OM10 to the homecourt gym with the Zuiko 50mm 1.8 lens mounted, set the ISO @ 1600, aperture @ 1.8, and read the internal meter shutter speed of 1/250 - will not use flash for recitals or basketball. I would like to take stop action shots(correct me if I'm wrong), but I believe I have to get the shutter speed up to 1/500 to do that. If I buy a new digital slr and use a 50 or 85 mm 1.8 prime, I will have to shoot at ISO3200 in this low light, right?

So, I believe my choices are the 300D with hack, 10D, or 20D any of them set at ISO3200. I want good quality stop action up to 8x10 for just me and my family's enjoyment. Will the 300D or 10D give me that or will I need the lower noise of the 20D to get good quality at ISO3200?

Also, are their features on the 10D or 20D that I would need for good quality low light basketball shots?

I'd really like to spend less (300D or 10D) , but will get a part time job to afford the 20D if I really need it for this type of shooting.

Forgive me for the long post, I just wanted to provide enough detail so I could get informed/experienced advice. Your experience and thoughts, please?
dspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2005, 7:45 PM   #2

Your highest priority is to select a fast camera, ie. very little shutter lag and fast shot to shot times. Then you will have the best chance to "catch the moment".

I don't think very many digital cameras support ISO3200, nor would you need to go to that extreme. You should be able to shoot most of your shots at somewhere between ISO 50 and 800 while maintaining a shutter speed of 1/250th or 1/500th at F2.8. If light is a real problem, buy an external flash.

Also, look at the lens length you will need. If you're shooting pictures of your son playingbaseball half way across the field, you will need a minimum 200mm at the telephoto end. Perhaps you will need either one very versatile lens like a 28-200, or you will need two lenses, a 28-85 and perhaps an 80-200.

It sounds like your a little cash-strapped. Obviously the Canon EOS 20D would be the best camera of the ones you suggested. It has an interchangeable lens, very low shutter lag and fast shot to shot times, and relatively little noise up to ISO 800.

However, have you kept in mind that you will need to buy a camera case, lenses, a decent sized media card, external flash, etc. that could add hundreds to your purchase price? Extra lenses worthy of the 20D could cost you anywhere from a couple of hundred dollars to a couple of thousand.

Two other cameras you could look at are the Digital Rebel, which would give you lens interchangeability. or simply the Minolta A200, that already has a good 28-200mm lens and sounds like a camera more suited both performance-wise and budget-wise to your personal level of photography.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 7:45 PM   #3

Oh yes, by the way, Good Luck!
Old Jan 1, 2005, 7:50 PM   #4

I shoot gymnastics, which means low light gyms and no flash. :|

I just upgraded from a 300D to the 20D and couldn't be happier. My first impressions of the 20D are here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...20&forum_id=37

And just for fun I went to the local HS to try it out there. Here's one of my favorites from the test shots... ISO3200 run through Neat Image...

I printed a 13 X 19 on my Canon I9100 printer... everyone i showed the print to was absolutely stunned... especially when i told them camera was set to ISO3200...

Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 7:58 PM   #5

Thats a nice shot at ISO3200! What lens are you using? What was the shutter speed and aperture?
Old Jan 1, 2005, 8:10 PM   #6
Administrator

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Thats a nice shot at ISO3200! What lens are you using? What was the shutter speed and aperture?
Based on the EXIF, he took the photo at ISO 3200, f/2.8, 1/100 second shutter speed, at a focal length of 70mm. Based on his previous posts, he's using a Tamron 28-75 XR Di f/2.8 lens.

I'm sure he'll correct me if I got it wrong. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 9:10 PM   #7

JimC wrote:
Quote:
[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Based on the EXIF, he took the photo at ISO 3200, f/2.8, 1/100 second shutter speed, at a focal length of 70mm. Based on his previous posts, he's using a Tamron 28-75 XR Di f/2.8 lens.

I'm sure he'll correct me if I got it wrong. ;-)
Very close Jim! I had just switched from the Tamron to my Sigma 70-210 HSM EX 2.8 when I took this shot... Both are lens are a lot of bang for the $$$
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 9:18 PM   #8

Mr_Saginaw:

So did you ever use the hack on the 300D and shoot any low light gymnastics at iso3200 with the 300D ? Were they good quality?
Old Jan 2, 2005, 9:40 AM   #9

I shoot indoor track and field events for a local paper. The situation is low light (to the point of dingey!)with kids running andjumping. In order to freeze the action. I generally have to shoot 1/250th or 1/500th. When I use flash, I synchro at 1/1000th.

I have used slower speeds like 1/60th, or 1/100th, but when the subject is moving, I have to pan, blurring the background. Generally the newspaper will only accept about one panned/blurred shot a season. They like stock standard well composed, frozen shots with few if any special effects.

Sometimes I wonder if the right approach to photographing moving subjects in a low lit situation is to use a digital slr (haven't upgraded yet) and mount a really fast prime lens, like a 50mm F/1.1.2 or an F/1.4, and shoot wide open at 1/500th without a flash. The only disadvantage I can see is the 50mm lens will work like an 80mm portrait lens in 35mm parlance, with no zoom, so I'd have to get in the right spot to get the correct framing.

Old Jan 3, 2005, 5:02 PM   #10

Anyone else have any experiences to share using ISO3200 on the 300D or 10D for low light in gyms?