Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 1, 2005, 11:39 PM   #1

Hey,

I need help deciding on a camera. While i consider "value" very important, i'm also concerned with quality. I would like the camera to be small, and that photos taken inside will be properly lit. From what i have read, the Photosmart R707 seems like a good choice. The prices are those specified by Futureshop.com and are in canadian dollars. Anyhow, any input (such as personal experience) will be greatly appreciated!

Hewlett Packard Photosmart R707 $370
Kodak CX7530 $330
Panasonic DMCLC80S $340
Casio QV-R62 (6MP) $400
DiMAGE G530 $350
Fuji FinePix E510 $350
Sony DSCP93A $390
Nikon Coolpix 5200 $400
Canon Powershot A85 (5MP) $370
Samsung Digimax 530 $300
Kodak CX7525 $250
dimalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2005, 11:57 PM   #2

When you say 400$ Canadian, do you count the batteries/chargers, the memory card and any other accessories that you may need... Do you count the taxes ?

Why do you need a 4-5mp camera, what size will you print ? Do you need to crop ?

I can say the Canon A75 is a very good camera, the A85 is also good. The Sony DSC P73 is worth a look if you consider the P93. I'm not sure of the price of the KM Dimage G400, it looked like an interesting camera, but I am not sure how it performs. Casio is supposed to make good cameras, but I can't comment on that.

Basicly, I can say the A75 is a good choice, but it depends on what you will do with the camera and what you need out of it. So, in what kind of environnement will you photograph... what conditions, what do you expect out of the camera.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 10:30 AM   #3

hi Nicholas,
I'll do my best to answer what question i can from what you have asked. My price limit is strictly for camera purposes, as i am not concerned with the price of accessories for it. For the most part, any one of the cameras i specified is an option, so taxes can slightly exceed $400 bucks. I'll probably want different print sizes, but knowing i can produce 8x11 or even larger prints maintaining decent quality would be important. Being my primary camera i believe it will be used in a wide range of settings, so it should handle well both the outdoors and indoors (As i said earlier, proper exposure in dark setting with automatic settings would be most welcome). Other than that, a nice blend of manual and automatic features, nice response times, and a decent movie recording mode would all be great additions.

Hope this hasn't put you to sleep :lol:

Vlad
Old Jan 3, 2005, 1:39 AM   #4

Well, your budget being quite limited, I would opt for 4mp instead of 5mp, for the simple reason that you risk getting a not so good 5mp camera for 400 CAD. 4mp won't leave u too far behind what 5mp would give you: giving you photo quality 4x6 and 5x7, excellent 8x10 prints without any interpolation.

It seems like you want some manual features but its not a priority, what I was seeing as a priority was the good low-light performance, good response time, as well as print quality. Now you have to realize one thing, you will get a compact digital camera, so the indoor performance(with flash) won't be excellent, but with some practice it can give you some very interesting results. As for outdoors pictures, most cameras handle them quite well.

So, according to your needs, I removed the Canon cameras, being either too costy, too slow and having not great movie modes; their picture quality is very interesting tho and I love their features(I own the A95).

I was thinking about Sony cameras since they are kwown for their fast focus in low light, good response, have an interesting movie mode. I thought about the W1, but seeing it was out of price, I looked at the others and although I have never truly looked for it, perhaps the P73 would be interesting. It is 4mp, fast, compact, has some manual features(tho it lacks manual white balance as all Sony cameras). Its very is VERY interesting... Having had a little look, I found it had a 1/2.7" sensor which isn't very big... so I looked at the P93 and the sensor could be a reason to buy that one instead, even if it costs more for basicly the same features. So, I recommend you the Sony P73 or P93, the later being a bit better because it has a bigger sensor(even with 1mp more, the ratio mp/inch is smaller)

I suggest you try the camera in store before and that you take a look at the camera you are more likely to buy on Pbase: http://www.pbase.com/cameras
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 10:20 PM   #5

I agree 100% with Nicolas and would also recommed SONY P93. 3 years ago, I would never have picked a Sony (I owned one) but my friend just bought one and -WOW !!! She loved the image quality of her Nikon 3100 but hated its super-slow shutter speed. We actually took "identical" shots of her kids to compare them and I couldn't believe the "true" colors exhibited by the P93. It exhibited true colors esp. skin tones. In comparison, the Nikon made her daughter's skin look "greyish". It's also very fast and takes 640x480 video (tho you need to buy a PRO Stick). It would be perfect for me if it was half as thick but it's still very compact. Seems like a great value!
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:52 PM   #6

Thanks guys,

Having further explored the matter and having read your suggestion, i will indeed be opting for one of the Sony cameras.

Cheers,

Vlad