Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 2, 2005, 11:33 AM   #1

I apologize if this is common question but...

I have an Olympus D380 and a C3030. Both are good cameras but I'm looking for something that powers up quicker and more importantly able to shoot pictures quicker. I've lost too many good pictures because the camera was recharging or writing to the memory card.

I'd like a compact or ultra compact. Any suggestions on manufacturers or even a specific model would be great.

thanks!
Loafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2005, 12:51 PM   #2

Loafy wrote:
Quote:
Any suggestions on manufacturers.....
Take a look at the Sony's in the camera reviews section. The reviews here list startup and other times. The Sony's seem to have some of the faster times.....

PhilR

PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 1:23 PM   #3

Both of your cameras use SM cards, so there is no brand preference based on the memory you already have – SM is obsolete.

Imaging Resource has a page like this for every camera they review: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C60/C60A7.HTM You don't get shutter lag and cycle times much faster than this. It might not be what you are looking for if you just want a pocket point and shoot without needing manual exposure modes, but it gives a good comparison for other cameras.

I would look at Steve's "Best Cameras" list and look up the cycle times either in Steve's conclusions or the Imaging Resource "Picky details" or speed page. Steve has a listing in his best cameras for "Ultracompact – pocketable" cameras. He tests them all and his judgement is a good starting point: http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html The listings are links to Steve's reviews of the specific cameras.

Dave at Imaging Resource is a little less discriminating than Steve. Any camera that isn't bad goes in his "Dave's Picks". This is the small camera listing. Go down to his choices and the reviews with speeds are linked.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 1:28 PM   #4
Administrator

Loafy wrote:
Quote:
I've lost too many good pictures because the camera was recharging or writing to the memory card.
If you're taking a lot of indoor photos with flash, make sure to take the cycle times with flash into consideration, too (even if the model is very fast otherwise).

A subcompact model with a small battery may have longer recycle times with flash. Flashrecharge times are going to vary based on your distance to subject. But, you will see typical cycle times with flash mentioned in the review conclusion section here for most models.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 1:36 PM   #5

Take a look or a reading at the Sony W1 or W12 (black version). It has a very fast start-up time (my own experience) and a very fast handling. If you firt had the right settings. f.e. the red-eye -reduction goes by menu and not by the 4-way knob on the camera. Reviews at steves-digicam.com or imgaging-resourse.com.

An other fast camera, of which I only know by reading the reports is the casio EX-P600.

Try some especially of the handling in practice at your photoshop.

Good luck

image4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 1:48 PM   #6

Hi,

A fast and super compact camera is the 4MP Kyocera Finecam SL400R. Here is a quote from Steve's almost identical (lower resolution)SL300R-T review...

"The 3.2 Megapixel Finecam SL300R offers a solution for digital camera fans who have been frustrated by "missing the moment" due to the combination of the shutter speed lag time and slow "click to click" speed. Utilizing RTUNE Rapid Tuning Technology, the SL300R offers a virtually non-existent lag time of 0.07 second, and it can capture images at an incredible unlimited 3.5 frames per second! The Finecam SL300R is only limited by the size of the SD memory card in terms of how many images can be consecutively captured."

...Ed

edorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 4:56 AM   #7

Look foor a sony T1, or W1 or P100 these are fast camera's
image4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 7:42 AM   #8

I've been looking at the Sony P100 and am getting close to buying but lately I've been reading an awfully lot of negative posts on the Sony about blurry images. Some seem to think that it's operator error and some think there is a problem with the camera.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...89&forum_id=28

I'm no expert and want something that is easy to use and takes good pictures.

any thoughts?
Loafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 8:32 PM   #9

I actually cancelled my P100 order for the same reason. I would either get the P93 (not as thin though) or the P150 -I've read that most of the issues they had with the P100 had been resolved in the P150.
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote