Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 2, 2005, 4:00 PM   #1

I'mbuying my first digicam ever and really stressing about such a dumb thing. We have a 35 mm elph and love it (it's our second). I always thought I'd get the digital elph when it was time to go digital, but now I'm not so sure. At first it was between the elph and the A95 but if I'm going to spend the money, I think I'd rather have the manual controls than the large screen. And though the elph is tiny, the A95 is not an elephant by any means. And then there's the fact that it is 5.0 and the elph is only 4.0. Though, true, I'm not planning to print any huge pictures... but I could crop a few pretty damn close and thenblow them up(thus can stay away from the ultra zoom cameras, which I'm not too impressed with).

The problem however, is that the camera has AA batteries, and I've been told that lithium is a better way to go. (Just buy two they say). But then I have been reading on this site and others, that a rechargeable AA set would work just as good? If this is really true, then maybe I shouldn't be concerned with the battery?

If I was to concern myself with the battery, then I would be looking at the S60. I haven't read a whole lot about this camera, and it doesn't seem to make it in the "best camera" section in ANY of the websites I've been surfing. Sooo... what is with the S60? It's more expensive than the A95 ($150 more in Canada), but it seems to have all the same features as the A95? What makes it more money? And is it possibly a better camera?

Truth be known - I really like the Elph, but am pretty impressed with the S60 (can't find any reason that it would not be considered as highly as the A95 - except of course if the S60 cannot justify being $150 more than the A95). So I'm struggling with the Elph and S60, but for the price wonder if the A95 is the best camera for me (other than the AA battery problem). HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:57 AM   #2

I understand that my question is as tedious and repetitive as everyone elses on this forum, but I really need some advise from someone who knows. I haven't found anyone else comparing the S60 with anything. Please help.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:28 PM   #3

Sorry, I cannot help with the S60 part of your question, but I'll provide what I can. My wife has an SD110 and I have an A70, so I can give you a quick comparison there.

My wife loves here SD110. Mainly because it's small so she can carry it with her anywhere. She considered getting the S400 at the time, but thought that it was too big. I don't understand, but it's her camera. I'm sure if the SD300 had been out at the time she would have gone with that. From my experience, the main issues with the Elph series is that you cannot use additional lens (my wife doesn't care)and if the battery pack is dead you're stuck until you are able to get a charge, which has happened on occasion and photo opportunities were missed.

By the way, the Elph series does have a 5meg camera, the S500.I have to believethat the newer SD line will have a 5meg version soon, which may provide a price drop on the S500. Worth watching for, at least.

I love my A70 and will be upgrading to the A95 soon. It is a little bigger than the Elph cameras, so it doesn't fit in your pocket, but it does have other advantages. I have used a telephoto lens with mine and like having that as an option. As for the batteries, I have two sets of rechargeables and they work great. Also, if for some reason both sets are dead I have the option of buying standard AA, which has happened. Being able to buy a set of batteries in a pinch is a big selling point for me.

Image quality on both is great. Higher pixels will be nice, but these do the job for now.

Anyway, I hope this helps.
DaiButsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 11:51 AM   #4

Thanks for the response. The Elph is so compact and cute and perfect for the non-professionals, but I'm taking a PhotoJournalist course this semester and think I need something more manual. But then again, who knows.

I wonder if anyone has anything to say about the S60? Anyone?