Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 4, 2005, 4:11 PM   #1

I received as a gift, the Sony DSC-P41 Cyber-Shot Digital Camera and the DPP-FP30 digital photo printer. The package cost $300 for both. Neither of the items are reviewed on Steve's site. Does anyone know anything about them? I had an Olympus Digital camera, just 1.3 MP and it was really good quality. I was ready to upgrade. This camera has 4.1 and offers zoom. I want to use the camera as my only camera. To email, print, etc. I am not interested now in movie-mode. I have a camcorder I use for that. Can anyone give me advice? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!:-)
lhood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2005, 4:19 PM   #2

I think the printer is actually made by Olympus even though it may have a Sony badge. I had another Sony dye-sub printer years ago which was identical (used the same paper, trays, film catridges) as the Olympus model. The printer might be quite nice in any case.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 4:20 PM   #3

I'd return. You could pay $l50 for a dsc-p72 and use an online photo printer, or $300 for a dsc-W1. Either way you'd have a better camera or more money. I don't like the expense of home printers to operate.
f2benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 4:23 PM   #4

Probably better not open the box, because it has no optical zoom at all. Only takes 2 AA batteries so I don't think it'll have good battery life. Well, I guess if you can handle having no optical zoom, and short battery life, then it'd be ok. It just depends on what you want to do.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 4:24 PM   #5

[align=center]Bennies right. It costs moreto print in your home and the quality isnt as good.[/align]
TunafishJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 4:25 PM   #6

The zoom that you're referring to is 'digital' zoom, which is just some kind of mapping to get the picture to look larger, but folks that are serious in getting good quality pictures won't ever use digital zoom. Optical zoom is done with the lens, but this camera doesn't have any magnification at all with the lens.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 5:28 PM   #7

As others have said, you could easily get a better camera for 300$. When looking for a good all-around camera, I want some optical zoom. I know you felt 1.3mp was great, but that could only mean that you will be able to do more cropping, which is great when combined with the optical zoom.

I am not sure what sort of prints you plan to make and just like others have said, I wouldn't rely on a home printer to make my pictures, if you ignore the cost of the printer, it costs less to print from a website than buy the ink and the paper. Besides, if you don't print enough, its hard to compensate for the price of the printer.

So, really I don't think you should open the box and that instead you should tell us what sort of usage you make out of your camera and what you believe is MUST in a camera, that way we will be able to help you find one to suit your needs.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote