Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 4, 2005, 4:36 PM   #1

I was looking through Steve's "wishlist 4.0 MP list", and I just can't decide. If you were going to spend under $300 on a camera, what would you choose? I will need something that is easy to understand and handle. The Sony DSCP73 is only $224 with shipping and tax right now, and looked pretty good. Also, Olympus D580 is only $220. A Canon PSA85 is $237. They're all in my price range, but how do I decide? Please help!!
lhood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2005, 4:43 PM   #2

The best way to decide is to read reviews on the internet I'd say.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 4:48 PM   #3

But Kenny, don't you think they all pretty much all sound the same??
lhood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 7:29 PM   #4

What is your TOTAL budget? For example, you might need to buy a Pro Stick for SONY and xd card for Olympus which still cost more than Canon's CompactFlash card. Also, there's a difference in battery type/cost. Sony needs 2 "AA" and they are nice include to include a charger + 2 rechargeable batteries. The Canon requires 4 "AA" so you will need to buy batteries + charger. So it will come down to the little details....hope this helps. Btw, the Canons are great but a bit heavy b/c of 4 "AA"s. My friend just got the SONY P93 which takes GREAT, QUICK pictures (very nice skin tones) but you do need a PRO MEMORY STICK if you want to utilize the high quality video.
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 12:28 AM   #5

No, they are not the same... for example, the sony is faster to focus in low light situations andit surely has less manual controls than the Canon. Don't worry, you don't have to buy memory stick pro for the Sony, since u already said you didn'T cared for the movie mode, just go for regular memory stick(if they make it with enough memory for you.

What did your old camera had, did you used manual modes, do you want to ? What kind of pictures do you usually take ? Is portability really important to you ? What are your priorities ?
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 9:01 AM   #6

I tried 3 different 4.0 mp cameras in the last 2 months-- a Fuji, a Kodak, and the Canon A85. I kept the Canon, and I am STUNNED at the quality of the photos I get. Sharp, perfect exposure, great indoor flash pics, great outdoor shots. I am using the Canon Paper Pro photo paper and a the Canon i860 printer to print my own. The shots are nicer than anything I have ever taken, even with our extremely nice SLR film camera. I highly recommend the Canon A85. (My husband was very skeptical about getting a digital camera, and I think he is as excited as I am now. He can't believe the photos.)

Pam P.
Pamp81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 9:37 AM   #7

I agree with Pamp, the A85 is a great camera, I own the A95(which is very similar to it) and the picture quality is simply great. The point where people complain the most about the Canon cameras is their not so fast focus speed in low light and as a generality, how the camera is not the fastest...

I maintain what I have said, if you want manual controls, the A85 is a great camera. If that is not so important and speed is, then the Sony is surely of interest...

Since you already have a digicam, you know what kind of pictures you take, so just find what you like to photograph...

Also, make sure to check http://www.pbase.com/camerasto see the kind of pictures one can take with the camera you are looking to buy. Keep in mind that those pictures may mean something to the one who took them, so find maybe the best 30% of the picture to judge.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 11:32 AM   #8

It just happens I was looking at a D580 for a friend and remember the prices. They have gone up a little since I checked, but still below yours. Use Steve's buyers guide. Don't use the first page of sites that pay to be listed, but click on the link below to display all of the prices. Type in your zip code and click on "Total Price" to have a listing of the delivered prices in order of total delivered cost. Example for D580: http://www50.shopping.com/xPC-Olympu..._Zoom~S-P~OR-0 A85: http://www50.shopping.com/xPC-Canon_...t_A85~S-P~OR-0 Use a highly rated store with at least a few hundred user ratings.

I agree the A85 is the better camera if the size and weight are OK for you. The CF memory is a little cheaper but that is offset by having to buy a charger and batteries. Wal-Mart has a charger and four 2200mah batteries for $18. There are batteries with a little higher capacity and chargers that might top them off slightly better, but those will do fine.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote