Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 5, 2005, 9:22 AM   #1

My needs: Price - 200-250$
slowest shutter - 8
manual control of most of functions

i have Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z10 on my mind
maybe u have better suggestions
what about Panasonic FZ2? (wich would be overall better?)
panasonic has a good lens, video shooting with sound (Z10 -no sound), but also 2MP (vs Z10 3MP), and no control over app. when changing shutt. manualy

what r ur suggestions? maybe some other cam i havent mentioned?
thanx
Chemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2005, 9:40 AM   #2

Well, you are looking at Ultra-zoom there, not sure if its a necessity for you...

Anyway, for Ultra-zoom, there are other possibilities, but most cost more...

Here are a few suggestions, for Ultra-zoom(between 300-350), Canon S1 IS, Panasonic FZ3... With a bit less zoom, a camera I can't recommend since I don't know anything about it, Olympus C740...

If Ultra-zoom is not a must, there is the A75, it has just about all the manual controls you can want and can do up to long exposures of up to 15 seconds. Well, I think that if you don't mind only 3x zoom, this camera is the best you can get specially considering what you want. Its also pretty cheap, with the batteries, charger and the memory card, you'll surely be under 250$.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 9:56 AM   #3

zoom is not a must but might come handy
the priority is manual control over shutter speed and good quality still night shots (with tripod) of non-moving objects. FZ2 had a quite noticable noise.
and keep in mind - 200-250$ NOT MORE
Chemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 10:29 AM   #4

Then, I doubt you can get an ultra-zoom for less than 250$ with all the accessories... tripod, batteries, charger(if any), memory card...

And the A75 is truly a great buy, here you can see some night shots as well as another review about it(scroll down for the pics): http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ew/index.shtml

I also suggest that whatever camera you buy, you take a look at the kind of pictures the camera you will buy can take at http://www.pbase.com/camerasand keep in mind that most pictures actually mean nothing to you... So they might not look good and they are taken by amateurs so perhaps after looking at a few hundreds of photos, you'll see what you can achieve with the camera.

By the way, I own the Canon A95 which is in many ways similar to the A75, the later is a bit faster in continuous mode(I think), so essentially, I know what I am saying when I tell you that the camera is great!
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote