Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 5, 2005, 11:38 AM   #1

Hi

I´m looking for a new digital camera, preferably a very compact onewith good performance inside and outside, in low light and sunlight. And of course exellent picture quality :-)

I have my eye on a couple, the Sony p150 and the Canon s500 Elph. Now i´ve been looking through the forums here ( which are great by the way ). But everywhere I look it seems thatpeople generally don´t like the p150, or at least can´t seem to agree on anything :G

I was just wondering if there is a compact camera ( besides the canon A** serie ) thatmost of you can agree on is a great camera ???

Peter
petermyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2005, 12:37 PM   #2

P150 is a good camera... Ultra-compacts that I like are Canon SD300 and Panasonic FX7... If you want more manual features with good quality, check out the S70 or S60 (these are slightly bigger and cost more)... If you are budget conscious, I prefer Sony W1 (it has few manual controls but is in a good price range)...

(BTW, there aren't really any non-DSLR cameras that are good in low-light without flash. I say, shoot with flash in low-light (at least if the subject is within a few meters))...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 1:48 PM   #3

The P150 should definetly be pretty high up on your list. It's only drawback (in my opinion) is it's lack of total manual control. However, I would still go so far as to say that it is IMHO the best ultra-compact. It takes great pictures and is housed in a small, sleek package. If money is no problem, I would say to go with it.

If you're a little more price conscious, the W1 is probably the camera for you. It also has a great video mode, if that's your thing.

If you're willing to increase in size a bit, the A95 is probably worth a look too. Not to mention the S70, which probably is the best compact camera (not ultra-compact by any means) in terms of manual features.

Best of luck with your search! ~Jack

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/p150.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/a95.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/w1.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s70.html
Jack B. Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 2:30 PM   #4

Thanks for your input

I agree with you. The P150 is very sweet to look at. My budget is about 500 $.

I hope I can make up my mind soon :roll:
Old Jan 5, 2005, 10:04 PM   #5

Also look at the Panasonic FX7 already mentioned if you don't need manual controls and movies aren't a big consideration. It is a small pocket camera with stabilization. Probably the only small camera that can take available light indoor shots in decent lighting. It is also much better outdoors in limited light because of the stabilization. Stabilization is advertised to give up to 3 f-stops advantage for non-moving subjects. That means you can handhold in 1/8 the light. It has a great large LCD but no optical finder. I would find that a disadvantage, but some people like that fine.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 5:55 PM   #6

Hmmm.....I´m not sure that I like the FX7......at least not as much as the p150. I think i´m gonna go with that one.

Thanks for your help guys :|