Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 6, 2005, 12:23 AM   #1

I want a good digital camera. I have a sony 4.3 mp but I'd like togo to about an 8 mp. I like the sony's functions but don't know what to get. Whats the difference between say sony f828 and a digital slr??. I don't even know if sony makes a good digital SLR. I've seen the fiji S-7000 but I don't like the picture quality, Battary drain, plus a few other things. I don't mind paying a higher dollar but I want a good camera.

Any help will be appreciated.
tewitt1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2005, 6:16 AM   #2

OK, I'll bite.

Can you please tell us what type of photography you are in to or want to get in to? Why do you think 8 mp camera is a requirement? The marketing notion that higher mp = better photos is just that - a gimick. There are a lot of factors to a quality picture. But the real driver to which camera is right is how you plan to use it. Also, the big difference between a DSLR and a point-and-shoot is you have to work more with the DSLR to get high quality photos - but the pay out is the photos you will end up with are going to be better in the end. You also have to deal with interchangeable lenses. So, let us know what you want to accomplish and the people here can help you decide if a DSLR is right for you. How much do you want to get into creative modes (AV, TV, M)? Do you want to do portraits? Indoor sports? Outdoor sports? Wildlife (if so, what kind)? Macro?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 1:52 PM   #3

The key negatives of digital SLRs are:

* size: DSLRs are quite large and inconvenient to carry around (especially if you count all the lenses and stuff)

* cost: DSLRs typically cost $1000 to $3000 if you want to replicate a high-end prosumer like Sony F828/Olympus 8080/Canon Pro1/etc. The basic camera will roughly be around $1000, and then a basic lens would cost another $200 or so, and then if you want 7x zoom then it might cost another $200 to $600 for the lens, and so on.

The key advantages IMO are:

* noise: DSLRs have far lower noise at high ISOs (this is because the DSLRs have much bigger sensors than high-end prosumers like Sony F828). What this means is that you can shoot in low-light and get pictures that you can't with a consumer or prosumer digicam.

* flexible: You can easily switch lenses to accomodate the situation. If you buy a prosumer, you are stuck with what it has.

* speed: DSLRS are USUALLY faster than prosumers, although I think some of the latest prosumers are just as fast (if not faster) in a given price range...

* rugged: DSLRS are usually made of stronger, more rugged material and I would argue can last longer (although I have no idea)

* manual control: DSLRs essentially give you full manual control over as many features as they can. Optical viewfinders, manual focus rings, and so forth are standard on DSLRs...

So to sum up, DSLRs are better than prosumers in nearly every factor. The only factors that they are inferior at are price and size/portability...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 8:11 PM   #4

OK, I don't think I want to get into a big heavy camera with all the lenses. Its hard to carry all that stuff. I did that with my last 35mm. It takes the fun out of it for me. I'm still undecided as of yet.

Is there a digital camera, not dslr that has picture quality of a 35mm film camera? with some manual functions? I realize there are so many other things that enterinto this. I don't need movie function, or don't need one for real low light as I will use the flash. I may crop a little. I miss the sharp pictures of a film camera but want to go digital.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 11:30 PM   #5
KSV

If you are after TOP QUALITY digital photos, than you should forget about compact and go to DSLR - as been mentioned above sensor size is everything. If you like to have a compromise, then best option would be to choose camera with AS LESS AS POSSIBE megapixel and as big as possible sensor (2/3 ???) - in that situation each pixel will be bigger and output quality will be better. Only one thing you will be missing with (say) 3mp camera is ability toproduce big printout and question is do you really need it? From another hand Pentax *istDS is surprisingly small and if you get 28-200 lens (although is not the best from quality point of view) you will have compact DSLR with universal lens for all situation. And yes, quality of photos from *istDS is superior, probably because it uses SONY sensor? ;-)
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 11:53 PM   #6

tewitt1949 wrote:
Quote:
OK, I don't think I want to get into a big heavy camera with all the lenses. Its hard to carry all that stuff. I did that with my last 35mm. It takes the fun out of it for me. I'm still undecided as of yet.

Is there a digital camera, not dslr that has picture quality of a 35mm film camera? with some manual functions? I realize there are so many other things that enter into this. I don't need movie function, or don't need one for real low light as I will use the flash. I may crop a little. I miss the sharp pictures of a film camera but want to go digital.
I'll jump in & say that I've had a Canon D30 (3MP, with probably the largest Sensor to Photosite Ratio ever made). It made wonderful images that I have yet to see topped. I now shoot a Minolta Dimage A1...it's 5MP & shoots excellent images on it's own, but I NEEDED the Anti-Shake feature to handhold my shots.

For quality, I would get a DSLR...for me, I will get the Minolta D7-SLR.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 6:50 PM   #7

Defenitely the DSLR, I got the Pentax *istDS, it's the smallest DSLR camera in the market, great picture quality, US$879.- incl. a 18-55mm lens + a 28-300mm Tamron lens for 219.- of ebay that's a great start. true, you get better quality pictures with a prime lens, I got a Pentaxmm 135 F2.8 and a 50mm F1.4 but I can only make out the difference after I cropped in quit a bit in Digital Post. On regular 7x5 prints I could not make out a difference. I had the Fuji S5000 than the S7000 and now the DSLR and BTW the Sony828 isn't small either, the lens is huge.

Final answer: DSLR

Tom
alvitdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 8:59 PM   #8

tewitt, I am a recent digital convert. My husband refused to buy a digital camera until we could get photos as good as with our Canon AE1 35mm film camera, so we waited until now to buy one (but were still skeptical.) We recently bought a Canon A85 4mp digital camera. We are stunned that the photos are actually BETTER than with our film camera. (Using the Canon Paper Pro on our Canon i860 printer at home.) We were very surprised. My brother in law has a Canon DSLR, (not sure which one.) Our prints with the Canon A85 are just as nice as his (in terms of sharpness, color, exposure, etc. He still composes them better than I do!) (of course he can take all the very low light pics and has more manual controls.)

Pam P.
Pamp81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 11:43 PM   #9

I'd like to thank everyone that responded to my questions. There is a lot of knowledge on this forum. At this point I think I'm going with the canon digital rebel SLR. I'm not going to buy yet as there are a lot of posts Iwant to read yet. I may change my mind again.

Thanks all Terry

Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:12 PM   #10

Quote:
I think I'm going with the canon digital rebel SLR. I'm not going to buy yet as there are a lot of posts Iwant to read yet. I may change my mind again
I have been shooting with a Canon Digital Rebel for about a year now. One of the best 8x10's I ever printed on my Olyumpus P440 Dye-sub printer was from aSony F505v, which is only 3.3 megapixals. Funny, I printed this picture while in the process or selling the camera as proof it worked o.k.

Basically both types of cameras can be great. The Canon G6 @ 7.1 MP in many ways outperforms the Rebel. I prefer the Rebel because I like changing lens to adapt to the environment and the situation. But it is a lot more expensive and complicated and because of that may not always give you better results.

Quality lens is one of the main expenses in the SLR world for film or digital. So if this is not important, you may be happier with a point & shoot.

PS

Although, I shoot with a Rebel if I where buying it right now I would probaly have gone with the Nikon D70.... or upgrade to 20D.

minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote