Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 6, 2005, 10:13 AM   #1

okay - besides the resolution is there any difference between the A85? I see that the A95 from reviews says its a great camera and has lots of manual features. These are things I want as well as a good macro as I'll be taking some product pictures.

If I can save some money though I'll go for the A85 if its essentially the same - any thoughts?
kickn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2005, 1:30 PM   #2

Here is a side-by-side comparison...

Key differences are price, megapixels & sensor size (hard to say which one has lower noise), lower wide-angle (35mm vs 38mm on A95--lower may be better), and flip-out LCD (which is quite useful)...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 3:01 PM   #3

The A95 sensor will produce less noise than the A85, but not than the A75. The A95 has more telephoto power, something which means less than the wider wide angle of the A85.

Also, what size will you print ? Will you crop ? because the A75 could very well be worth it even more than the A85. In a few aspects it is better than the A85 and the A85 is in no way better than the A75 except for the mp count which is still quite similar.

IMHO its really a matter of what you need and if saving some money is important, then you won't lose much in terms of picture quality by going with the A85 or A75.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 6:07 PM   #4

Its for product photos on a small brochure and a web site so croping/etc. is very likely

Would the A75 be better then?
Old Jan 6, 2005, 9:00 PM   #5

Well, I am unsure if the A75 would be better, for posting on the web definitively... As for your brochures, how big will the picture be on the brochure ?

Will you use the macro mode to take the pictures ?
Old Jan 7, 2005, 3:38 AM   #6

The brochures will be small - A5 roughly - and very clean looking but macro is the biggest issue. I'm thinking if trying to use lots of contemporary closeup shots to show the products detail and quality so clear - bright - close - images is the most important. This is why I was concering the 5mp - just to give me more to work with in photoshop. Canon seems to fit the bill - now its just what one to pick?
Old Jan 7, 2005, 2:36 PM   #7

Well, my suggestion to you is to find some pictures on a review site which has reviewed all 3 cameras, the A75-85-95 and to do the kind of cropping/editing you'd normally do and to print them all to the biggest size you could normally print. That way you will know which camera will print what you like the best... because I could go on speculating about what I think would suit you, but the real test is what you see with your eyes and only you can know what is really acceptable.