Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 6, 2005, 11:41 AM   #1

I have been doing research on the best camera for my wife and I to buy and take on our trip to New Zealand in May. After a couple of weeks and reading countless reviews and discussion posts, I have narrowed my choice to the Panasonic FZ series.

The FZ3 is perfect for size and it is cheaper, although money is not the most important part of this decision.

The FZ20 is larger but with better image quality.

The last important question for me to answer (with your help) is if I were to hold up two 8X10 landscape photos taken with each camera under the exact same conditions; would I be able to quickly tell the difference without a magnifying glass? Keeping in mind that I am a novice.

If the answer is "yes" then I will buy the FZ20.

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Jim

greyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2005, 11:57 AM   #2

I don't have either camera but my opinion is...

I would say that average people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. HOWEVER do note that 3 megapixels won't give you much cropping room.

In any case, if you were to go for the FZ20, one should really go for it because of the bigger LCD, hot-shoe flash, and stuff like that, more so than the megapixels (FZ20 is rumoured to have more noise than FZ3 because of its higher megapixels so the MP isn't THAT big of a feature)...

Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 12:16 PM   #3

Hi Jim-As Sivarim stated, the extra megapixels will come in handy if you do cropping. I recently bought the Z20 and both my husband and I "LOVE" it. It takes amazing pictures and is simply FUN to own. Just don't forget that you need to turn the flash on EACH TIME (it'll soon become 2nd nature). I looked at the Z3 as well but the Z20, whilst bigger, seems to have a better "build". And even though it's larger, it's actually quite light so I don't think it will be a problem lugging it around. As for if you took identical pictures, it "should" look identical unless once again, you were going to crop it. Then the difference would be noticeable. Even though you are a novice now, I think the Z20 will give you more room to grow ! But whichever you decide, you've made a wise decision :-)
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 5:27 PM   #4

I am really going to sound like a novice with this queston but is a "hot shoe" the part of the camera that one can attach an external light source?

Thanks,

Jim
greyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 6:08 PM   #5

greyguy wrote:
Quote:
I am really going to sound like a novice with this queston but is a "hot shoe" the part of the camera that one can attach an external light source?

Thanks,

Jim
Being a newbie is cool We were all one at one time

To answer your question, yes, the flash hot-shoe is where you attach external flashes. Usually the mid-end to upper-end prosumers and the upper-end ultra-zooms have it but the ultra-compacts, compacts and low-end ultra-zooms don't have it. All cameras come with (somewhat weak) built-in flashes so this may or may not mean anythign to you...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 6:33 PM   #6

This is the flash that works perfectly with the Z20 - not sure about Z3 .....

http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs...4&cat1=5849722
Old Jan 6, 2005, 6:34 PM   #7

This is the flash that works perfectly with the Z20 - not sure about Z3 .....

http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs...4&cat1=5849722