Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 6, 2005, 3:40 PM   #1

Hi,

I am looking to get my first digital camera, and I think I've narrowed it down to the Cannon G-6 or S-70. I really like the functions, quality, and versatility of the G-6, but the size of the S-70.

What do you think? How much am I giving up by not choosing the G-6? Other than size/weight, does the S-70 have any thing the G-6 doesn't?

Thanks,

Scott

ps-Would I be better off w/a smaller simpler cameral like the Olympus Stylus 410 in addition to the G6 instead of just the S-70? I really don't want to go down this route but might be pursuaded to.
mgmidget72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2005, 4:26 PM   #2

Well, what do you plan to do with the camera, will you be wanting to carry a G6 with you as much as you would with an S70...

Under what conditions will you take your pictures ? What kind of pictures do plan to take ? Up to what size will you print the pictures ?

I would say that getting a 7mp camera is excessive(I could be wrong), well I know it is for most people... You could easily consider the S60 instead of the S70... And if I am not mistaken the S70 has just about the same functions as the G6, the quality is quite comparable and it is versatile in the sense that it is more compact and much easy to carry with you at all time. I'd say the G6 has only a few things more than the S70 and that those things are not dramatic.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 5:11 PM   #3

One other thing that the S70 has over the G6 is that it has a very low wide-angle: 28 mm (vs 35mm on G6). This means you can take better pics in tight areas (eg. narrow alley, room, etc) or landscape pics... however, I don't know how big this is for you...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 12:12 PM   #4

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I plan to use the camera as my main and only camera – using it mostly for general photography (vacations, around town, parties, cars, hiking, skiing, etc…).

I would be carrying it with me. Is the G6 too bulky to reasonably carry around like this?

The conditions I would be taking pictures under would be pretty much anything & everything since it will be my primary camera. The pictures would be scenery, landscape, beach, people – posed & action. So basically, nothing specific.

Probably the biggest I plan to print would be 8x10, but I like having the higher pixel count for cropping and the possibility of printing poster size. However, most of the pictures probably would stay on some sort of web album.

One of the biggest things that's I feel is different between the G6 & the S70 is the hotshoe. Are the external flashes useful and quality?

Thanks,
Scott
Old Jan 7, 2005, 12:21 PM   #5

Well...you better be careful with the G6 for photographing people at night time. I got a G6 and I'm not happy with the red-eye problems it has....well...not in the G6's stock standard bare bones operation anyway. If you use external flash, then the problem should be solved. Oh yeah...definitely..the external flash will be useful.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 1:14 PM   #6

Well, that was a concern I had, but I don't think there would be much difference between the G6 & the S70. They both seem to have the flash pretty close to the lenses. When it is important, that is when I would hope to use the external flash.

Thanks,

Scott
Old Jan 7, 2005, 5:24 PM   #7

The G6 and S70 have similar features and functionality. I believe they both use the same 7 MP CCD.

The main differences are:

1. lens...the G6 is 35 - 140 vs 28 - 100 for the S70. the G6 has more telephoto, the S70 wider angle.

2. flash shoe... both have redeye problems with the built in flash, so if youuse flash a lot, the G6 will accept an external flash, the S70 will not.

3. LCD... the G6 has a fully articulated LCD, very handy for awkward camera positions, the S70 LCD is fixed

4. size...the S70 will fit in alarge pocket....(might be abitlarge fora shirt pocket) the G6 won't, you'll either have tosling it overyour shoulderor use a small camera bag.... the S70 is definitely more convenient to carry around.

5. accessories.... the G6 will accept filters and add-on lens...with the appropriate adaptor, the S70 won't... although there are some gizmos that will attach to the tripod socket and hold a filter in front of the S70lens.

I wouldn't get a G6 and another smaller digicam...seems a bit redundant to me. But if you want the G6 andyou really need a smaller camera to carry in your pocket, that's an option.
Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 8:49 PM   #8

bump
Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:50 AM   #9

I'd say, of the 2 choices, the G6 would be better than the S70, probably in all departments except the size and wide angle. The G6 can't be a wrong choice, but you may not fully appreciate what it has to offer you, if you do not need/use some of the more advance features.

Try looking at some other cameras too. Some also offer great pics with some of the features that the Canon duo don't have. 1 good choice would be the Olmpus C5060WZ or the newer C7070WZ. They have wide zoom and very very good controls to boot. Panasonic FZ20 is a great ultrazoom too.

You never know what the other cameras can do unless you try them.
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 12:12 PM   #10

Thon,

Thanks for your reply.

You mention that some other cameras have some of the features that the Canon duo don't have. What would be an example of some of these features?

Thanks,

Scott