Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 7, 2005, 1:01 PM   #1

:?:
I will be taking shots of my little kids in a fairly lit apartment. Will the size of the chip in the SD300 make the photos come out all grainy? Should I just go for the S60 or S70 with their larger chip sizes and resolution?
I don't care about blowing up pics more than 8 X 10, if I do it at all...
Please HELP!!!!!
THX :?
blaster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2005, 1:19 PM   #2

SD300 flash range might be say 3 metres. And the S60 is around 4 metres. If you just have adequate lighting in the house, then either camera should perform well. But if it's like those really dimly lit orange light restaurants, then many small cameras with built-in flash can have trouble .. ie dark pics..blurry...grainy etc...if the subject is too far away.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 1:31 PM   #3
Administrator

You'llwant to use a flash indoors with any of these models for taking photos of your kids. What you think is a well lit apartment willbe very dim to a camera's lens. Shutter speeds will be too slow without using the flash if you're taking photos of kids (you'd get motion blur without it). So, make sure you take flash range into consideration when shopping.

Out of the models you're considering, the S70 probably has the lowest noise levels (even though it's 7MP 1/1.8" CCD is relative dense, Sony improved this sensor over the 5MP 1/1.8" CCD from a noise perspective). But, you'll still find it virtuallyunusable indoors without a flash or tripod (and a tripod won't help for moving subjects like kids).

Noise (grain)probably won't be a big problem, as long as you keep ISO speeds set to a low value, and use a flash indoors with any of these models (making sure to stay within the flash range).

For better indoor photos, I'd consider a model with the ability to use an external flash.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 1:37 PM   #4

Thanks for the great feedback. Does anyone know about the Pentax S5i? Should I consider this camera over the SD300?
blaster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 1:59 PM   #5

Not sure...but try checking the reviews on steves digicams...
eg.. http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...ios5i_pg5.html

then check out the reviews on the sd300 too.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 3:07 PM   #6

blaster8 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the great feedback. Does anyone know about the Pentax S5i? Should I consider this camera over the SD300?
I'd pick the SD300.

the continuous shot in the S5i is very bad, and overall the SD300 is faster.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxs5i/page4.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsd300/page4.asp

and the SD300 has AF iluminator, S5i doesn't. This is quite important, I think.

and the SD300 makes movies at 640x480 30fps, while the S5i only has 320x240 15fps.
mai9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 4:26 PM   #7

If you don't crop (most non-amateur-photographers don't) then 3 megapixels is good for average quality 8"x10". Clearly 5MP or 7MP is overkill for 8x10 so this shouldn't enter the decision (except with respect to noise)...

I would go with the SD300 if(small) SIZE is important. Otherwise a compact is arguably better for regular family use. So things like Canon S60/S70, or Canon A95, or Sony P150 (or newly announced P200) or stuff like that is arguably better. What these (slightly) larger cameras offer is manual features. Ultra-compacts like SD300 are lacking in some of these manual features. I have no idea if you would ever want to start using, say, shutter priority mode (i.e. lets you set the shutter speed) so it really depends on whether you want a simple point&shoot, or whether you plan to try some manual stuff in the future. The compacts will allow you to try some more advanced stuff...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote