Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 7, 2005, 3:20 PM   #1

Mentioned in other postings it is said a large sensor 3 mp camera will produce better quality pictures than a 8 mp camera with a smaller sensor. Is that true in all cases? If so why not shop for sensor size rather than more mp's?

Does this sensor have a name and does the camera manufactor say what size it is? And are all sensors the same quality per size. Are certain brand sensors better than other censors? Generaly speaking, what size sensor is big and what is small.

I see the olympus c-7070is coming out in Feb 05. Also a c-8080 is in the works. sounds and looks like it may be ok. Any thoughts?

I seen the c-7070 at

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0501/05...ly_c7070wz.asp

I seen c-8080 on the olympus .com site

Thanks from a novice newbe.

tewitt1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2005, 3:52 PM   #2

tewitt1949 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Mentioned in other postings it is said a large sensor 3 mp camera will produce better quality pictures than a 8 mp camera with a smaller sensor. Is that true in all cases? If so why not shop for sensor size rather than more mp's?
[/quote]
Quote:
In general that is true: given two cameras with same sensor size, the one with lower megapixels will have less noise. However, technology improvements also mean that sensors improve over time. For example, it's hard to draw conclusions between a sensor produced in 2004 versus another in 2001, even if they are the same size.
Quote:
So people should really be shopping based on the sensor size and megapixel combination. People still look at megapixel (MP) because that is what mattered before when the difference between 1 megapixel and 2 megapixels was huge. Nowadays, with 7MP and stuff like that, the difference is not as prominent.
Quote:
Having said that, you should keep in mind that megapixels matter when it comes to print sizes. The more megapixels, the larger the pic you can print (or at least you have more cropping room). For example, 3 megapixels is good enough for average 8"x10" pics but if you want 11"x14" then higher MP may be desired. I bought a 3megapixel camera just recently and I would say that 3MP is good enough for average users who do not plan to print above 8"x10".
Quote:
Quote:
Does this sensor have a name and does the camera manufactor say what size it is? And are all sensors the same quality per size. Are certain brand sensors better than other censors? Generaly speaking, what size sensor is big and what is small.
Quote:
This is complicated. I'm not knowledgeable enough to answer that (hopefully others can shed more light on that). There are only A FEW sensor manufacturers so all the cameras only use these 3 or 4(?) manufacturers. This means that most cameras within a particular "camera class" also have the same sensor. For example, ultra-compacts usually have 1/2.5" sensor, which is smaller than some slightly larger compacts at 1/1.8" sensor, and so on. The largest sensor on a digicam that is not a DSLR is 2/3" sensor found on the high-end prosumers (eg. Canon Powershot Pro1, Canon F828, Konica Minolta A2, Olympus 8080, etc).Digital SLRs (DSLRs) usually have MUCH LARGER sensors--this is one of the key advantages of DSLRs (they can shoot at very high ISO with almost no noise).
Quote:
Quote:
I see the olympus c-7070is coming out in Feb 05. Also a c-8080 is in the works. sounds and looks like it may be ok. Any thoughts?
Quote:
Isn't the 8080 already out? I thought it was released last year... or am I mistaken? I'm not really sure about all the models...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 11:17 PM   #3

tewitt1949 wrote:
Quote:
If so why not shop for sensor size rather than more mp's?
More megapixels are useful, not to say essential, if your photography involves a lot of cropping of the image.

If you always print the whole frame, and not much bigger than 10x8, 3 Mpix with a good lens is fine. If you have a big zoom lens, and can always fill the screen with the subject, 3Mpix with a good lens is fine.

If you want to extract detail from part of the image you've taken, and enlarge it a lot, you'll want more megapixels.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 11:22 PM   #4

Wow, love this forum. Lots of great information. First hand info is always best as far as I'm concerned. I'm leaning toward the canon Rebel Digital SLR. Any thoughts about this camera? Good or Bad.

Thanks Again

Terry
tewitt1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 1:08 AM   #5

tewitt1949 wrote:
Quote:
Wow, love this forum. Lots of great information. First hand info is always best as far as I'm concerned. I'm leaning toward the canon Rebel Digital SLR. Any thoughts about this camera? Good or Bad.

Thanks Again

Terry

Ive upgraded from a pro-sumer to the digital rebel and I love it. I get great photos out of it and Im looking at eventually getting more lenses from the EF series with the outlook of upgrading one day in the future. It's a great camera, easy to use for beginner's and a great learning tool. I would not go back to a pro-sumer having had the DSLR.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 4:07 PM   #6
KSV

As for me at this stage I would consider only two choices in entry-level DSLR: Pentax *istDS or Nikon D70. *istDS is smaller with brighter viewfinder and has great advantage of acsepting almost any lens ever made for Pentax (K*** series, of course :-) ) Also it is a bit cheaper (as least in Oz). Nikon has faster AF and therefore better choice if one need to shoot alot of sport. Rebel appears to be litle bit noisy
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 4:23 PM   #7

tewitt1949 wrote:
Quote:

Thanks Again

Terry
I shot a DRebel all last year... loved it... :G Only reason I sold it was because I upgraded to a 20D (was part of the deal with the wife... she think I have to MANY cameras! LOL)
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote