Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 7, 2005, 4:35 PM   #1

I am a long time minolta maxxum (dynax) user who wants to get into digital photography. Since the prices of high-quality point and shoot digicams seems to approach digital rebel/eos 300d territory, I am considering the latter. Yes I own a few maxxum/dynax lenses, but the only Minolta digital slr in existence is far over my budget even considering extra lenses for a canon. Since no consumer priced minolta digital slr is on the horizon, am considering digital rebel/eos 300d or *ist ds. Any opinions? thanks!
Frylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2005, 7:34 PM   #2

Hi,

I was up to the same task and settled for the *istDS, great choice. What I absolutely did not like about the Rebel was the flimsy plastic housing and it was still a bit bigger than the very small pentax. Picture quality is excelent and the choice of lenses isn't that bad, at least on ebay you get great deals for it as well. I sold the 18-55mm and got a Temron 28-300, a pentax 50mm 1.4 and a Pentax 135mm 2.8. Besides a very wideangle lens I have everything covered, especialy with the fast primes the indoor basket ball shots of my girls. In regards to the pentax lenses, they are manual focus lenses which was OK with me because I usualy switch of AF for sports anyway because of the fast movements and I got them for about $50.- each on ebay, used. So far I did not discovered any flaws on the Pentax and I'm happy I made the (for me) right choice.

Hope that helps

Tom
alvitdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 7:11 AM   #3

alvitdk wrote:
Quote:
... What I absolutely did not like about the Rebel was the flimsy plastic housing...
I think there are probably a few people here who would disagree with the flimsy plastic housing... me included. (People said the same thing about my Minotla Maxxum and I've had that body for ever...)
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 7:42 AM   #4
NHL

Frylock wrote:
Quote:
Yes I own a few maxxum/dynax lenses, but the only Minolta digital slr in existence is far over my budget even considering extra lenses for a canon. Since no consumer priced minolta digital slr is on the horizon, am considering digital rebel/eos 300d or *ist ds. Any opinions? thanks!
I have the Canon 10D so my opinion is not biais - It depends on how much you value 'Image Stabilization':
1. A 70-200 f/2.8 IS alone costs more than the 7D http://www.adorama.com/CA70200ISU.html
2. Then you have to add an around lens with IS: http://www.adorama.com/CA28135ISU.html
3. How much is the 300D again?

With the Minolta 7D, I hope at least you don't have to buy any new lenses (big saving here) - Plus all your old lenses are now IS enabled...

The other benefit is any affordable 3rd party lens including the infamous Sigma 70-200 f2.8 is now also IS enabled as well since the antishake is built into the body.

IMO the biggest bang are IS on the wide angles
This is still rare on Canon WA's for early sunrise or late sunset landscape where things do not move and where IS is the most effective!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 3:42 PM   #5

Mr_Saginaw wrote:
Quote:
alvitdk wrote:
Quote:
... What I absolutely did not like about the Rebel was the flimsy plastic housing...
I think there are probably a few people here who would disagree with the flimsy plastic housing... me included. (People said the same thing about my Minotla Maxxum and I've had that body for ever...)

Well, flimsy might not be the right word for it what I meant that when I held the Rebel in my hands it just did not have the solid feeling of the Pentax, D70 or any other DSLR camera to it. I always paid attention to the build of the camera I had, Kyocera Finepix, Finepix S5000 and the S7000 and now the istDS which is about the same as the rebel, price wise that is.
alvitdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 8:44 AM   #6
NHL

FYI - http://img.dpreview.com/gallery/engi...olta7d_preview

-> 1/6s handheld @ ISO 3200 - plus it's all die-cast magnesium! :-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote