Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 9, 2005, 8:07 PM   #11
ecm

The movie mode on the S1 IS really is a lot better than most digital still cameras. But, you'll be disappointed if you buy it and expect to make DVD-quality video. You'll also spend a fortune on memory cards - remember that full quality video on this camera eats 1 GB every 9 minutes..... Look at this page; the "Time of Recordable Movies" is about 2/3 down:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...p;modelid=9824

If you want good quality pictures AND good video, spend the money on separate digital and video cameras. There are decent quality basic MiniDVcamcorders available for US$300; you can get a good fast digital camera for about the same.

In a couple of years, when it's time to upgrade, THEN get the OIS long zoom, for YOU - to take pics of birds, flowersor whatever. You won't need long zoom for kids - you need a very fast autofocus with no shutter lag. The little sweetheart will be moving VERY fast in about 18 months....

My recommendations? Take these with a grain of salt - they're not from personal experience, but from the reviews I've read. There's also a hundred others that'll do the job, too - I'm just trying to point out that there are other routes you should consider.

Camera: Casio EX-Z55 (fast!!! - 1/10 SECOND AF/shutter lag!, good 5 Mpixel images, good indoors, 400 shot battery(!), charger/dock included) US$340 @ Adorama

Camcorder: for example, a Canon ZR80 (18X optical zoom, good in lower light, good overall quality) US$290 @ B&H Photo. I've got a Sony TRV-22 - it's a bit more expensive, but I can't complain at all - it takes great videos.

Anyways, that's my two bits. Good luck in your quest for a camera.

ECM

ecm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 10:32 PM   #12

The point is'nt to have a video camera and a camera, or even a video camera that takes bad pictures, I have all that already. Its to have a picture camera that takes good pictures but can also record decent, limited by card only video, thats as good as possible.

The S1 does this for me. I also own a 3chip Panasonic pv-gs200 w/lieca lens. I know that Canon makes 1 chip cameras that can rival it, I know you can't have it all.

On the S1,I use alower quality320X240 but use 30fps and thats really the quality of a vcr tape. Which is about on par with the home videos I shot in the early 90's. Heckthe stuff looks better at that resthen most compact Vhs and some 8mm's I have.

Also,compact vhs was about 30min/ tape so 24min I can live with.. I guess this really all depends on were you've came from and what you have used in the past, for me its very good. But, I do wish the full 640x480 mode was more realistic, thats for sure maybe mpg vs avi. Funny how the S1 does'nt use Raw mode for pics but does for video???

Sort of a sick joke really! (sometimes I really wish I could hack firmware)

Bottom line, I love being able to record video with my picture cameraand I have a seperate card for just that purpose. As stateda 1gig card will hold over20min of 30fps video,I have recordered Jazz gigs in small clubs where my camcorder may never venture and I'm thankfull for the unlimited video even atlower resolution, I had an A70 and that was my BIGGEST complaint with that camera. ( That and also that it stopped taking pictures while on Holidays) :-?
lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 8:51 AM   #13

The Fugi S5100 has a conventional 4mp CCD, 10X zoom, and ISO between 65 & 400, also an AF assist light, plus astrong flash,an EVF & LCD that can gain up, agood 640X480 30fps movie mode that runs continuouslyas long as the XD card (presently 256mb) but I'd guess more mbin the future,runs on4 "AA" batts,has "RAW" mode, and takes good pics, even without IS, yeah maybeyou're being too picky about IS
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 9:42 AM   #14

lenscaplarry wrote:
Quote:
But, I do wish the full 640x480 mode was more realistic, thats for sure maybe mpg vs avi. Funny how the S1 does'nt use Raw mode for pics but does for video???

Would you really use the raw mode if it was available on the S1 IS? I'm personally happy with the superfine JPEG mode. But then again, I'm a newbie and don't know anything about using level curves and stuff For newbies and regular users, you really don't need raw mode.

Quote:
...I had an A70 and that was my BIGGEST complaint with that camera. ( That and also that it stopped taking pictures while on Holidays) :-?
lol sucks Anyway, one of teh worst things about the Canon A line is that its video is crippled. It totally sucks how they limit the video for some unexplainable reason...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 9:55 AM   #15

It's hard to find info on the FZ15. Here is a side-by-side comparison from dcresource.com but this one doesn't have too much detail. If you want a more detailed comaprison, check this out (but this one doesn't have FZ15 ).

If I were you, I would go wit hthe FZ3 or the FZ20 (skip FZ15)... if you want something that is larger, but with larger LCD, higher megapixels, flash hot-shoe, etc, go for FZ20 but otherwise FZ3...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:00 PM   #16
ecm

lenscaplarry wrote:
Quote:
The point is'nt to have a video camera and a camera, or even a video camera that takes bad pictures, I have all that already. Its to have a picture camera that takes good pictures but can also record decent, limited by card only video, thats as good as possible.

The S1 does this for me. I also own a 3chip Panasonic pv-gs200 w/lieca lens. I know that Canon makes 1 chip cameras that can rival it, I know you can't have it all.

On the S1,I use alower quality320X240 but use 30fps and thats really the quality of a vcr tape. Which is about on par with the home videos I shot in the early 90's. Heckthe stuff looks better at that resthen most compact Vhs and some 8mm's I have.

Also,compact vhs was about 30min/ tape so 24min I can live with.. I guess this really all depends on were you've came from and what you have used in the past, for me its very good. But, I do wish the full 640x480 mode was more realistic, thats for sure maybe mpg vs avi. Funny how the S1 does'nt use Raw mode for pics but does for video???

Bottom line, I love being able to record video with my picture cameraand I have a seperate card for just that purpose. As stateda 1gig card will hold over20min of 30fps video,I have recordered Jazz gigs in small clubs where my camcorder may never venture and I'm thankfull for the unlimited video even atlower resolution, I had an A70 and that was my BIGGEST complaint with that camera. ( That and also that it stopped taking pictures while on Holidays) :-?
It sounds like your system works for you - I can't argue with that.

However, I'll defend my point that the OP will be disappointed if he expects to get DVD-quality video from a digital camera - it just ain't going to happen with present technology. I'll also point out that Iget 1 hour of DVD (actually better)quality video onto a $4 tape; I keep the original tape so I don't end upchewing up GB from my computer'sHDDs for storage of my originals. I have over 100 hours of originals now - even if I down-encoded them to 320X240,29 FPS, VCD quality, I'd use about 70GB to store them; in the original DV format I'd be looking at about 1500 GB, and in DVD-quality MPEG2, 200-400GB. And I'd never be safe - HDD's do fail frequently.

The other question I have is about those jazz clubs.... I know I'm being anal, but do the performers want you to be filming them? It's the artist's right to banrecording of their performance, you know - those artists are usually starving (especially jazz musicians, unfortunately) and they should be able toexpect compensation for their work..... I know, I know, you're not posting your tapes on the internet or anything, but the point is still valid. Buy their CD or DVD after the performance instead; support them so they'll be able to continue to provide your favorite music. As a bonus, the CD's at the performance were usually produced OUTSIDE of the RIAA's clutches, so you're screwing them, too!

ECM

ecm is offline   Reply With Quote