Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 8, 2005, 2:12 PM   #1

Im going to move to a new country to the summer and I want a small digital camera to take with me.

In this case size does matter, but not at any cost, i still want good image quality and almost no noise. So i want a small size as long as the rest dosnt suffer to much

I have been looking at the sony t3 and i wonder if it's a good buy or if there are better choices.

I know myself, my primary thing is point and click... and i really like my camera to be fast (both to turn on and to take images). Features and adjustments are cool but i dont use them to much.

I noticed that it dosnt have any possibilities for mounting and that irritating since i own a tripod already.

I do care aboutthe cost, but i'd rather get exactly what i want and spend some more.

So to list it, what i want from my camera is:

-Small

-Really fast

-Good auto-mode

-Preferably mountable

-good picture quality (i escpecially hate noise)

-I like to be able to focus on really close distance if possible

-I kinda wanna buy an underwater house, so it helps if there is one for the camera

Is there any better the the sony t3 for this? I mean i know there are compromises everywhere but somewhere there gotta be a camera with a fairly good combination of the above mentioned :-)
lyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2005, 4:30 PM   #2

Nearly all cameras will have noise problems in low-light. The larger cameras with larger sensors (and less megapixels) generally produce less noise. Ultra-compacts, which is what you are after, have more noise...

The Sony T1/T3/M1 are best if you care about style and coolness. Otherwise, I don't like them that much.

If you want ultra-compact, I would recommend something like Canon SD300 or Panasonic FX7.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 5:07 PM   #3

Thanks for the tips.

I just cant take a Canon, i've played with a few canons and none of them was in my taste :-)

Anyways, i compared the images from sony t1 and the fx7 here in steves images.

And i thought the t1 took the better ones.

So i still want more tips.
lyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 5:16 PM   #4
Administrator

lyrd wrote:
Quote:
Is there any better the the sony t3 for this? I mean i know there are compromises everywhere but somewhere there gotta be a camera with a fairly good combination of the above mentioned :-)
As a general rule, the smaller the camera, the more compromises you will make (ergonomics, lens quality, lens brightness, sensor size/noise, features, flash range, etc.).

I'd suggest that you read through the reviews of the ultra compact cameras that made Steve's The Best Cameras List for other small models to consider.

Make sure to read the review conclusion sections carefully. This is where you'll see things like startup time, autofocus speed/reliability, cycle times between photos, etc., discussed.

You won't be able to take photos indoors without a flash or tripod with most models (because shutter speeds would be too slow to prevent motion blur from camera shake or subject movement and/or you'd have unacceptable noise levels at higher ISO speeds). So, make sure to check out each model's specifications section for flash range (which is very short on a model like the DSC-T3, making it better suited for outdoor use).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote