Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 8, 2005, 8:04 PM   #1

Several weeks ago I took my S30 in for repair. It was taking overexposed pics, to the point they were completly washed out. I had bought the extended warrenty, so I was not worried about the cost. I was called the other day to come and pick up my camera. When I got to the store the clerk handed me a new A75. I of course was not expecting a new camera, and was not familiar with the A75 and was not please. I did not take it, I decided to see if first if I was getting a worthy replacement, cause i loved my S30 (so heartbroked). Seemingly the A75 is pretty much up to par performancewise, but it just doesn't stike me as well built, the S30 had a metal body, plus it took RAW pics. I chose the S30 over the A60 because it seemed better quality.

Should i accept this replacement? I bought the S30 for near $700 (CDN) and the extra warrenty which was $60+, and they are now trying to give me a camera I can buy for $300 because the repair will cost them $600. Should I push for a more better replacement, something along the price of what I paid, since I purchased warrenty at a price to protect a $700 camera (warrenty price was in accordance to purchse amount).:?
okedis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2005, 9:32 PM   #2
Administrator

That's a tough call...

The S30 would have far lower noise levels as ISO speeds are increased (thanks to it's larger, and less dense 3MP 1/1.8" CCD). ISO 400 is relatively usable on the S30 (and you've even got ISO 800 in a pinch). But, you wouldn't want to use ISO 400 on the A75.

Are you sure it's beyond repair? Try holding down the menu button for at least 5 seconds after powering it on. It should prompt you, asking if you want to reset it (selecting Ok at this promot resets it back to factory defaults).

You may also want to try leaving the battery out for a day or two.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 9:35 PM   #3

Here is a side-by-side comparison between the two.

A75 is far newer so it may have faster processors, newer technologies, and so on. The S30 is a higher-end camera so the A75 is missing some stuff; however, the specs seem to indicate that the A75 is better in some things. Here are some quick observations:

* S30 likely produces less noise than A75 since the A75 has a smaller sensor... BUTit is really hard to say because they are so far apart and sensor technology could have improved to the point that a larger sensor may have less noise

* A75 seemsto have closer macro focus range (5cm vs 10cm) and faster max shutter speed (1/2000vs 1/1500 second).

* S30 has a stronger flash (4.8 meter vs 2.5m)

* A75 seems to have a slightly better movie mode

* Both have same megapixels, LCD size (not sure about resolution though), and lens (zoom, wide-angle/telphoto range)

So overall, these cameras are close to each other. Play around with the A75 and if you are satisifed with the image quality and performance, I don't see anything wrong with keeping it.

(If I'm not mistaken, the S line is higher than the A line so you will be going to a lower product line. This is evidenced by the fact that the S camera has raw mode, compact flash II and so on. However, the A75 is modern whereas the S30 is somewhat older)
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 10:06 PM   #4
Administrator

Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:
Quote:
* S30 likely produces less noise than A75 since the A75 has a smaller sensor... BUTit is really hard to say because they are so far apart and sensor technology could have improved to the point that a larger sensor may have less noise
Sensor technology is improving. For example, the new Sony 7MP 1/1.8" CCD appears to have lower noise levels compared to the Sony 5MP 1/1.8" CCD.

But, IMO, the Sony 3MP 1/1.8" CCD (as used in the S30)has *significantly* lower noise levels compared to the Sony 1/2.7" CCD (as used in the A75).

Although, Steve didn't run any ISO 400 tests on the A75, he did for the Canon S1 IS (which uses the identical Sony sensor, and was introduced at about the same time as the A75 by Canon). You can see an ISO 400 photo from the S1 IShere:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...s/img_1257.jpg

Now, here's an ISO 400 photo of the same subjects from the S30. Note how much cleaner it is -- checking areas like the dials on the radio, etc. The Sony 3MP 1/1.8" CCD was very good from a noise perspective, compared to the newer Sony 3MP 1/2.7" CCD. That's one of the reasons the S30has an available ISO 800 setting, and the A75 and other models using the Sony 1/2.7" CCD do not.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_...s/IMG_0260.JPG

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 11:30 PM   #5

A75 is a great camera, but maybe see if you can get the A85 instead. By the way, was this a futureshop type store???
lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 12:20 AM   #6
ecm

I'm not sure what the store is thinking. I assume they want to get rid of you as cheaply as possible; I don't know whether they're worth trusting. I think they picked the A75 because it's the cheapest Canon with 3 Mpixels they could find. Even the A400 is a bit more, usually.

If you want a comparable camera, they'd have to give you an S50, S60 or S70 - the A75 has purple fringing issues due to the sensor size. The A80 is actually a much better camera than the A75, it might be a reasonable replacement. the S50 was a nice camera, the S70 is very nice too. Reviews of the S60, I seem to recall, were not as good. Unfortunately, none of them have only 3 Mpixels.

Bottom line is that they're trying to replace a top-of-the-line compact digital with an OK, but low-end, camera. They expect you to accept it, because, after all, 3 mpixels is 3 mpixels. What doesyour warranty say about what they're SUPPOSED to be doing?If it's like mine, they're suppsed to replace it with a "comparable" camera; the A75 is comparable in mpixels alone.

ECM
ecm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 12:58 AM   #7

Thank for the info. I bought it at Dumoulin, a Quebec chain of stores. When I bought the S30, I had done lots of research before buying. So right now i'm not familiar with whats out there. I was very please with the S30, and glad I chose it. What nowadays would make for a suitable replacement? I'm hoping that they will flex some hopefully close to the repair cost. Of course getting the camera fixed will be ideal.

Oddly I know of a place that still has an S30 in stock, if all else fails I'll try and swing a deal out of them to obtain it.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 9:36 PM   #8
ecm

okedis wrote:
Quote:
Thank for the info. I bought it at Dumoulin, a Quebec chain of stores. When I bought the S30, I had done lots of research before buying. So right now i'm not familiar with whats out there. I was very please with the S30, and glad I chose it. What nowadays would make for a suitable replacement? I'm hoping that they will flex some hopefully close to the repair cost. Of course getting the camera fixed will be ideal.

Oddly I know of a place that still has an S30 in stock, if all else fails I'll try and swing a deal out of them to obtain it.
Well, I'd try to get them to spring for the S60 or S70 or, if they insist on an "A" series, the A95.The A95 is a bit different idea, though; it's bigger and not really pocketable. The pics, apparently, are just as good as the S60's.

ECM
ecm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 10:50 PM   #9

I'm gonna try and push for one of the newer S series. Don't get me wrong for the price the Aare great. But I would prefer to have an S series replacement, since they are what I'm used to. I'm going topush for either s70, s60,in that order. Then I'll consider the A series A95 and such. There is also the S1 andI am wondering about he ultra compacts. Aside from the S series I'd have to do a lil more research. I just want to feel I got a fair deal.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 12:22 AM   #10

Have you tried forwarding your concerns to Canon directly? ...just a thought.
...ben is offline   Reply With Quote