Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 8, 2005, 8:19 PM   #1

I'd say buying a digital camera is like buying a car.

Not every one would be able to afford a Ferrari or Lamborghini or Bentley and there would always be someone buying the New Mini or New Beetle just for the looks, most people will be happy with their Hondas, Toyotas,.... Engine size matters too. If you need more grunt the bigger the engine the better, but the Average Joes just need something that works WELL economically.

Now if we put this into the digital camera scene today, there will be all sorts of cameras available, but is the biggest and baddest one actually right for you????

Currently, I've had a few friends and colleagues trying to buy their digital cameras asking me for some advice, and the most frequent few questions that I ask them are:

1. What's your budget?
Edit: This includes the camera and any related accessories such as memory cards and batteries. Thx Jack!!
2. What do you want to do with the camera & photos?
3. What do you want to photograph more?
4. What is your camera size preference?

These 4 questions (very general questions) will help you get started to narrow down the list. Don't worry about brands or specific models first.

Just think of it like buying a car. You don't need everything but sometimes they are nice (and this means more $$$).
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2005, 12:27 PM   #2

1. 300 - 400

2. family, sports, vacations, partys

3. friends and family

4. ultra compact

ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Spiegs1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 1:21 PM   #3

Sony W1? Also probably woth taking a look at the Canon SD300.

Props to Thon on your list of basic questions, it really sums up alot of questions on this (and other) sites. Regarding your first questions though, you might want to add that it's their total budget, not just for the camera. Assuming what I just said makes any sense.
Jack B. Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 5:49 PM   #4

Spiegs1106 wrote:
Quote:
1. 300 - 400

2. family, sports, vacations, partys

3. friends and family

4. ultra compact

ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Looks like you are looking for a good all-rounder ultra-compact here. And I believe this is also what the majority of the digital camera buyers are looking for as well. I'd say this is most probably the hardest category to recommend as there are just too many good cameras available in this class.

I'd say all the major camera brands would have something that will fit you. It's a matter of finding the balance between what you like and what the camera offers. Try to look in a few minor things before finalizing:

1. Camera design/styling (You don't want to look silly, do you?)
2. Camera size vs Hand size (Ergonomics)
3. Manual controls (ISO, WB, Focus, Aperture, Shutter speed,...)
4. Type of batteries (AAs or Li-ion)
5. Type of memory format (CF, SD, xD, MS,...)

These will help you narrow down the list a bit. Another thing to note, there is not a single camera available today that will fit everyone everytime. The main reason to buy a camera is that you are happy with its design and usability and get great shots at the same time (which most of camera today do well).

I'd say, if the camera works well and you are happy with it and take lots of shots with it, it's a good (or even great) camera.

Thon is offline   Reply With Quote