Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 9, 2005, 6:18 AM   #1

Hi all. I'm just passing my Casio QV-4000 to my wife and am looking for something to replace it that fits the following:

1. Uses AA rechargeables (I do long treks and get through 3 or 4 sets - don't want to buy multiple proprietary batteries that will wear out in a couple of years and might be tough to resource when the camera model is superseded but I want to keep it going)

2. Stores pictures on SD or CF cards because I have lots and don't want to buy new media cards

3. Has better resolution than the 4.1mp on the Casio

4. Will allow me to record sound with my movie clips. I took a lot of clips on a 1gb card in Nepal a year ago but had to record sound separately.

5. Generally well-featured but will take great shots on auto because I'm a slow learner!

I'm not very price sensitive - could go up to $1200

Suggestions would be most welcome!!

Thanks

Peter
peterlbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2005, 5:41 AM   #2

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 6:54 AM   #3

I think you could get a Fuji FinePix S7000 for less than $500 (maybe even $450) and be quite happy. It has 6 megapixel native resolution, interpolated to 12 (some say the pictures are equivalent to non-interpolated 7 or 8 megapixel quality), 6X optical zoom, uses AA batteries, and is fairly full featured for a camera in that price range. It has dual memory slots for XD cardsand CF1 and CF2 cards. It takes darn good movies with sound for digital still cam. I have had this camera for about 14 months and been very satisfied. The main gripe against it is that its images are too noisy. I don't think its 6 megapixel pics are all that noisy and the 12 megapixel pics (fine quality setting aren't that bad, either). Its lowest ISO is 200 (I guess 160 sometimes in auto mode), as opposed to competitors' 100 or lower. Phil Askey of http://www.dpreview.com reviewed it and although he had reservations, thought it was a good deal for the money. If you bought this camera, you could set aside the money you save and get your truly monster camera in the next year or two.

If you want something even cheaper, but with less zoom, how about the Canon Powershot A95, with 5 megapixels, CF cards, AA batteries, and a bunch of scene settings? I have the A75 and it's quite easy to carry around and takes decent pictures.

Check out the reviews here on this site.

Good luck!
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 8:51 AM   #4

You should look at the review for the K-Minolta Z3. It is also a 4mp camera, but seems to meet your needs. Neat camera with high-power zoom and image stabilisation....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 6:10 AM   #5

:-)Thanks for the reply. You've given me another criterion to think about, namely image stabilisation.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Peter
Old Jan 11, 2005, 6:12 AM   #6

Thanks Robbo - I'll look at those options too!