Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 9, 2005, 9:22 PM   #1

I know there is quite a differance in price and and ability between these cameras. I have the money for either camera. If I went with the drebel or the 70D with the lens kitsI would be able to get some extras like a external flash and an extra lens. If I went with the Canon D20 I would just be able to get the camera with the lens kit and have to save up for some of the extras. I have a tripod already.

I take pictures of my family, dogs, vacations.. Kids play baseball. Daughter does cheerleading and does dance. So just regular family stuff..

Everytime I think I have made up my mind I havent... Please help??

thanks
kimbo12371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2005, 11:16 PM   #2
KSV

As for me, I would go for Rebel or D70 route with preference of D70. If your budget is limited, than buying extragoodies (espessially *GOOD* flush) wil resulting with much more good photos, that spending twice more money for camers with "extra stuff" witch you never will use :-)
KSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 2:51 AM   #3

I suggest waiting until around the end of Feb for Canon's announcement of a 300D replacement. If it sounds good, get it. Hurry up and get itbefore Nikon releases a D70 replacement

More seriously, another option is to go to a store and handle a D70 and a 300D/10D/20D (and 300D II if/when possible) -- look through the viewfinder; focus on objects near/far, shoot / focus as quickly as you think you might want to for real. That should tell you a lot to help make up your mind. Don't handle cameras you can't afford. Do expect to spend hundreds on lenses (in the long run) if you're really picky about image quality.

Any of those cameras can get the job done after all. Cameras had enough features in them (together with knowledge / external light meters, etc.) about 50 years ago.

The 20D is a much faster camera than the current 300D. But if you're shooting / composing slowly, this doesn't matter. If you want to shoot 20 frames in a minute, it does matter. Most people don't really need to shoot 20 frames in a minute, and the results are pretty boring when they're all the same.

On a vacation, I used a 17-40 f/4.0 L for around 90% of my pictures. I used a 70-200 f/4.0 L for the other 10% -- really only for shots of distant animals. Wide angle is harder to get right than telephoto. As I can only speak about Canon from experience, though IMO the Nikon's a finecamera, if I had to makethis decision for myself, I'd probably get a 300D II (when it's out) and a 17-40 f/4.0 L, an external flash (probably 3rd party E-TTL II + manual with tilt & swivel). If I couldn't afford the 17-40, I'd just get the kit lens.Then wait a few weeks / months as needed and get the 17-40. Later add a 70-200 f/4.0 L or perhaps a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8.

The kit lens is surprisingly good, but it's not great. It's worth the $100 or so. But it's also worth considering a less compromised lens.

I wish I could say that the 50 1.8 would be enough to start and an alternative to the kit lens. But with the affordable DSL crop factor, it's a bit too much telephoto for general purpose usage -- it's more ofa portrait lens. It is a great lens optically which is quite affordable.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 4:32 AM   #4

Get the D70. I bought mine in November and i have no regrets. It is a very good camera, and feels good to use, which i feel is important. The dRebel feels a bit too light.

cheers, Clem
clem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:50 PM   #5

If I had it to do all over again I would pick my lens first then the camera. I have a DRebel. Ihad been thinkingof upgrading to 20D. I went the camera store and tried it out. I set the camera on manual, activated the rapid fire mode and shot af 5fps, whow. Guess what, using the 18-55 kit lens most of the pictures didn't come out clear.

This is when I realized it wasn't the camera I wasn't happy with, it was my lenses..

Now I am seriously trying to decide between the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 or Canon 70-200 F4L. For wide angle I will probably get the Canon 17-40 F4L, unless the Sigma F2.8 spoils me into faster lenses.

But, I don't think you could tell the difference between a photo taken with the Sigma Lens on a Nikon D70 or a Canon D300. :idea:
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 12:11 AM   #6

You should think of it as buying into a system, where the add on parts like lenses will last a long time and can end up costing a lot more that the original body. Which after a while can be replaced with a newer version if desired and still use all the original lenses you manage to collect.

Don't overlook the Minolta with IS built into the body, and Pentax as well as Nikon and Canon. All have their good and bad points, Canon and Nikon just seem to be a bit more mainstream.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:44 PM   #7

Hey I did some fun tests comparing the Canon 70-200 F2.8L to the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX. Both were shot at 200MM F2.8, 1/15, ISO 100

Here is the Sigma test shot
Attached Images

Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:45 PM   #8

Here is the Canon Shot.
Attached Images