Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 11, 2005, 4:50 AM   #1

Whats your theory on why I and so many others are having such a nightmare choosing a digital camera. It occured to me this morning that perhaps its just that I haven't found 'the one' yet. Everytime I think I'm close, the flaws I read in reviews put me off. Am I seeking perfection which I shall never find ? Am I looking in too much depth at the equipment rather that just getting it and focusing my efforts on taking great photos. Is it the way that the products are marketed: features, features, features. Or have I just read too many reviews that I'm suffering from analysis paralysis?

Whatever it is, the fact remains that I've been searching non-stop for almost 2 weeks and I still can't come to a conclusion. First it was the Canon SD300, then the A95, after playing with them in the shop I wasn't convinced. Since then I've shifted through various cameras Fuji E550, Sony P150, Casio P600 / P700, Sony P200 and Canon S60 or S70. Just as I thought i'd found the one - the canon S70 I played around with a friend's S50 and really noticed some of the same flaws pointed out in the reviews of the S60/S70. Now I'm thinking of waiting until something new comes out.

What the heck is wrong with me! I didn't have this much trouble buying a car for 10+ times the money for god's sake
hotchilidamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2005, 4:58 AM   #2

No..I believe that you're seeking what should be expected in a camera that you require for your list of purposes. This is completely fine. Just that the technology is only starting to get there now...to produce cameras that can do all the things we desire (in a list). For example...I recently bought the G6 due to it's good quality pictures...but it hasn't got a movie mode as good as sony pocket cams, and the G6 has more red-eye problems for night shots on people than I would expect in a camera, and it's got this dumb little on-off button locking lever that easily catches onto the internal corners of the genuine canon PSC-70 camera case...so that the camera can turn on when we're slipping the camera into this case (which then make the lens extend when it's inside the case...not such a good thing).
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 5:03 AM   #3

So the best bet is to just wait until the next wave of cameras maybe...if you're in no rush.

I had the same problem once in the past..maybe 6 years ago. The cameras were expensive, and the CCDs weren't so good back then...not such good colour rendering, not very high resolution........primitive actually. But then came along the nikon 950. This produced good quality photos. Sure..it's not as fast as today's cameras etc...but the quality of photos were very nice. Even today, I still like the nikon 950, although nikon should really keep the nice qualities of this camera and just upgrade the functions. Not sure why they discontinued the 9xx series....they had a nice development coming along.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 7:24 AM   #4

You can always wait, and there will always be something new around the corner. But if you want to start making picutres, figure out what will work for now and plan on upgrading in the future. Its not like you're making that huge an investment!

You do this for your car, which IS a reasonably large investment - you know its not going to last forever, and doesn't do everything every car can do. You just find one that meets your requirements and budget for the present time and switch to the minivan or ferrari when that time of life hits you :-)

As to why cars are easier, the manufacturers have a lot more effort put into distinguishing themselves, and the sales people are highly incentivized to push them out the door. Even if the guy at Best Buy got a 2% commission on a specific model of camera (they don't), is it really worth his effort for an extra $5? Car salesmen are very good at making you feel comfortable in your buying decision, but there's no such thing going for consumer-level cameras.

My suggestion is to get something and shoot like crazy. Having some picutres beats getting that "future perfect camera" 100% of the time.
sjburges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 7:38 AM   #5

yah...see...the thing is..before the nikon 950 first came out, there was nothing that really did what I wanted. So I waited until the image quality and resolution met my expectations. Eventually, the camera...nikon 950 came out, and I bought it. I didn't mind the price. It just did what I expected it to do, and I was happy with that. Right now...I'm still waiting for a camera that can do what the canon G6 does...except have significantly reduced red-eye, and a better movie mode...ie faster frame rate, and movie storage limited only by the memory card.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 7:40 AM   #6

Well, the guys at bestbuy might get a kickback as part of a "Spiff" program. So while it isn't 2%, they might actually get something. (I know TVs use spiff, I don't know if cameras do.)

hotchilicamo, I think what you're feeling is not that uncommon. You want to get the best you can for your money. I'm not sure you know exactly what you want (i.e you've done photography before and therefor know what you need.)

Basically, this is what I suggest people do.
Figure out what you are going to do with the camera. Take pictures of people at parties? Take pictures of your kids? Take pictures of trains? Landscapes? Dogs & Cats? Low Light concert pictures? Whatever. Don't forget your other requirements. Must fit in your pants pocket, or closes up with a built-in lens cover, work well left handed,... physical things matter too.

Then you have to figure out what it will take to get those pictures. A long lens? A good flash? Good red-eye removal? Low shutter lag? If you can't figure that stuff out, ask here. That is one of the ways we can help.

Then do what you did. Go to a store and try the cameras. Is it as small as you thought? How does it fit in your hand? Are the buttons placed well for your hand size? This stuff is often ignored but does matter.

Then pick one. And don't worry too much if it isn't perfect. No camera is. But if you cover the major things then it should fit while you grow and learn. And the next one in a few years will be better and you'll know how to pick it better.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 8:49 AM   #7

Thanks guys - wise words. You've given me some new perspective on this

At the moment I'm nowhere near a describing myself as a 'competant ameteur' so by the time I get to that level and beyond I'll probably be looking to upgrade by then anyway.

I also suspect that around the S70 price, there's no such thing as a bad digital camera. The choices available are all good, but some excel in certain areas where others don't and visa versa.
hotchilidamo is offline   Reply With Quote