Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 11, 2005, 9:24 AM   #1

My Fuji Finepix 4700 just died on me, so it is time to replace my digital camera. I use the camera quite a bit while roughing it (camping, hiking, etc.) so it's best for me to have as small a camera as possible. I don't really want to sacrifice image quality, but I am willing to sacrifice manual features (I am really a point-and-shoot kind of guy, much as I'd like to think otherwise).

I REALLY don't want to change batteries all the time, so I'd like something with both a decent battery life, and the ability to charge the camera by plugging it in or putting it in a cradle. This is one of my concerns about the SD300. As far as I can tell, you have to take the battery out to charge it. Is this correct? If so, it's something I COULD do, if I needed to, but it makes me a bit disillusioned about the camera in general.

The price point for the SD300 is about right for me, so that gives an idea of the cost I'm looking for. I'd also like something that can hold up to being jostled around a bit. I understand that you still have to be careful with the camera, but it's nice if it can hold up to the kind of environments I will be using it in.

I'd be curious to see what everyone thinks, and if anybody has other recommendations for me. Thanks in advance for any and all help you can give!

Todd
JesterPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:17 PM   #2

Hmmmm, perhaps I chose a bad day to post this.
JesterPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 12:26 AM   #3

JesterPoet wrote:
Quote:
Hmmmm, perhaps I chose a bad day to post this.
Not really. You might not get any posts on any day....:-)

I wouldn't make the cradle thing a priority. If however you really have to have this, make sure it will recharge the battery by itself as well. You want this because if you run out of juice while doing a lot of shooting, you want to be able to pop in a fresh battery and continue shooting while the old one recharges. If you have to recharge by sticking the whole camera in a cradle, then you will have to go cameraless for the time it takes to recharge.

For your needs, you would be better off if you get a camera that uses AA's. It sounds like you might be away from electrical outlets, and having an AA camera will allow you to carry a few sets of alkaline spares to use if your rechargeables run flat.

You might look at the water-resistant cameras from Pentax (WR series), which are pretty simple, and don't have zoom lenses that extend away from the body. Sony also makes a WR camera as well, the model # of which can be found in the reviews....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 12:25 PM   #4

It would be fine. Memory is cheap, and a spare battery is about $15 aftermarket. Alkalines are a waste of money and won't even power most cameras properly for any length of time.
f2benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 6:12 AM   #5

look into the casio EX-Z50 or Z55.

the former has a 2" LCD monitor, the latter a 2.5".

from what i understand, it covers what you're looking for:
-very small, fits into pocket
-5mp (or the 4mp Z40 if you want, but i hear the z50 shows a significant difference in image quality)
-very simple to use (since you're a "point-and-shoot kind of guy")
-comes with cradle to charge battery
-"super long battery life"
-price similar to the sd300
but
-not too sure if it's sturdy or the type of camera you'd like to or can toss around somewhat carelessly

there. im done.

oh, and be lucky you're getting replies! i posted something up looking for help; it's been (feels like) over a week and nothing! and i doubt i ever will get a reply to it. *sighs*
cathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 6:22 PM   #6

JesterPoet wrote:
Quote:
I don't really want to sacrifice image quality,
from what I've seen, the Casio's sacrifice image quality.

I am also thinking of buying a camara with similar needs and will probably buy this SD300.
mai9 is offline   Reply With Quote