Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:47 AM   #1

Am looking to buy the above having been very impressed with picture and movie quality but am put off by only 4MP, XDand the bulkiness of it.

I have read through the lst of 30fps Cameras but can't see anything that suggests if they offer MPEG4 full scree and consequntly an equal or thereabouts quality of movie capture.

Do you think there will be a successor to the C-770 or is there an alternative out there somewhere that i am missing?

Also, how far away realistically is 60fps on compacts or prosumers?

simoni_milloni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2005, 10:24 AM   #2

60fps is far away. Many still don't have 30fps @ 640x480 so getting higher frame rates is a long way off.... Furthermore, I don't think 60fps will be in demand. You can't really tell the difference on tv between 30fps and 60fps.

MPEG4 is new and only A FEW cameras support it. If you want one with MPEG4, you need to wait for the next generation (2005 and 2006).

There WILL be a new Olympus ultra-zoom but I don't think anyone knows when it will be released. Guessing about future cameras is like guessing the stock market--or worse

I think if you wait for the 2005 models (i.e. wait for the full year) then you will likely see cameras with decent video support. I think [email protected] will become a standard ...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 10:57 AM   #3

Thanks SIvaram. I know the c-770 has MPEG4 at the moment. Are you aware of any others that do?
Old Jan 12, 2005, 3:18 PM   #4

simoni_milloni wrote:
Quote:
Am looking to buy the above having been very impressed with picture and movie quality but am put off by only 4MP, XD*and the bulkiness of it.

I have read through the lst of 30fps Cameras but can't see anything that suggests if they offer MPEG4 full scree and consequntly an equal or thereabouts quality of movie capture.

Do you think there will be a successor to the C-770 or is there an alternative out there somewhere that i am missing?

Also, how far away realistically is 60fps on compacts or prosumers?
I think you are confused on what makes a video "full screen". Many software programs will allow you to direct it to view the clip as full screen, but if the resolution is too poor, it won't look good. Thus the higher resolution of 640x480 or even the rare 800x600 cameras are better than the cameras that do 320x240. Also the higher the frames per second the smoother the video will look. The Olympus C-770 that does 640x480 videos at 30 fps has no extra feature to make it any better or worse than any other camera that can do 640x480 at 30fps. Sure there are different formats and quality within the cameras in that grouping, but they all can do full screen viewing. Some love the MPEG4 format and others, like me, hate it (too many compression artifacts in fast moving areas). That is why there is so many different cameras out there - no one can agree on what is the best.

So far there is only a couple of cameras that offer anything "better" than 640x480 at 30fps, but you either give up some of the frames per seconds to get more pixels (Minolta Z2 or Minolta A200 which can do 800x600 at 15fps) or give up some pixels to get more frames per seconds (Canon SD200 or Canon SD300 which can do 320x240 at 60fps). All of these cameras also offer the 640x480 at 30fps as one of its modes. I have no idea how soon better cameras might be available since I don't work in the industry.

p.s.: By far the best videos will come from a camcorder (video camera) instead of a still camera, but I am assuming you are like me and insist on one devise to do both
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 4:35 PM   #5

simoni_milloni wrote:
Quote:
Thanks SIvaram. I know the c-770 has MPEG4 at the moment. Are you aware of any others that do?
Sony usually has the best video, although at a heavy price due to its more expensive memory stick format. I think the Sony M1 has MPEG4 (need to check) but that is an ultra-compact, and likely has inferior capabilities to ultra-zooms with similar (non-MPEG4) video...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 3:29 AM   #6

Thanks Beverly, Very useful advice. I am indeed looking for something that can do both but recognisingthe comprimises.Thus I am leaning towards going with the c-770 based on the feedback in the forums and the sample pictures and movies. THanks again for your help
Old Jan 13, 2005, 6:25 AM   #7

I want to add to the definition of full frame (screen). 640x480 was chosen as full frame resolution because NTSC video has resolution of 720x480 or 708x480. NTSC video is designed to be displayed on tv with rectangular pixels, so it ends up with 4:3 aspect ratio. PC's have square pixels so the equivalent resolution becomes 640x480.

I think C-770UZ is a fine camera. Being designed by Olympus, the still image performance should be top notch. I have an old C-3000Z that has continued to serve me well for the last 4 years.

Though, I see do three shortcomings. First, it only records mono audio, which may detract from the video playback experience. Second, C-770 lacks an image stabilizer, which is very important when you are shooting at max zoom or video. Finally, it uses xD memory card, which is more expensive and offers smaller capacities (recording time) than CF or SD.
msb0b is offline   Reply With Quote