Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 11, 2005, 1:02 PM   #1

I want to buy a small 5mp camera.

i don't know witch one, I got a eye on the olympus c5000 and the minolta g500, but i dont really know wich one is better.

can you give advice? thanks a lot
marazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2005, 6:13 PM   #2

i said those two, but it dosent have be those two.

if you have any 5mp small cameras and you very happy,let me know !

thanks
Old Jan 11, 2005, 6:58 PM   #3

You...could check Steve's reviews of five megapixel digital cameras. No one is going to be able to help you until you give us more information. Price range, what you're going to be using it for, if manual features are a must, what the maximum size you think you will print at is ( 5mp may be too much), etc.

As it stand, there are many many good 5MP cameras on the market today. Just a few would be: the Sony W1, the Sony P100, the Canon S500, the Canon SD20, the Canon A95 and S60 (though both are compacts, not ultra compacts), the Nikon Coolpix 5200,and the Pentax Optio S5i. There are many many more, not to mention the one's you included in your post. I would personally reccomend a look at the W1, the S500, SD20, and the 5200. Assuming you're staying in the ultra-compact range.
Jack B. Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 12:26 PM   #4

Thanks !

I was thinkin to spend 200-300 no more.

And I wanted a small one, to take everywhere.

I like the canon A95 is really got a good review.

I apreciate you info. thanks again
Old Jan 12, 2005, 12:46 PM   #5

I suggest you answer the questions Jack asked... specially the print size... also what do you expect out of the camera ? Do you to record movies with it, will u mostly take pictures of people indoors, macro shots, nature shot, will u shoot a lot indoors or mostly outside... will u do night shots or low light ones ?

The A95 is a great camera, no doubt about it... I own it, but some people claimed it was VERY heavy and its not really compact... for me its perfect, but will it be for you ?
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 1:30 PM   #6

It's heavy?

I own my self a canon g2 and I don't use it, because its big and heavy , and also i have got a olympus 540 but i hate it, because the batteries don't last 5 pictures, NHIM batteries.

I want a very small lite camera, to take portrait pictures indoors. I i like it colorful, Thats why I like the minolta, i seen the pictures And i love the colors .

Thanks for your respond and advice :-)

and sorry my english !
Old Jan 12, 2005, 1:43 PM   #7
Administrator

marazul wrote:
Quote:
I want a very small lite camera, to take portrait pictures indoors. I i like it colorful, Thats why I like the minolta, i seen the pictures And i love the colors .

Indoor portraits with a small camera like the G500 will require using the built in flash. This will result in a lot of redeye because the flash is located very close to the lens.

If you have better lighting, it's a very good little camera. But for higher quality photos indoors, you'd be better off avoiding the very small models, using a larger camera with external lighting and flash.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 2:44 PM   #8

do you know a biger camera not heavy? but not very very big?

gracias !
Old Jan 12, 2005, 3:15 PM   #9

Well the A95 requires AA NiMH batteries but they last a LOT longer than 5minutes in my camera... If it lasts less than 200 shots... well I don't know, it never did. I never said I thought my A95 was big nor heavy, I just said that some people think that. Personally I do not like cameras to be much smaller than that, I need place for my hands.

As for a camera with a hot shoe.... the only compact camera I can think of is the Sony V1,not sure how good it is or anything... But one thing is sure to get good quality portrait with internal flash, you will need to be outdoors.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 4:52 PM   #10
Administrator

Nicolas wrote:
Quote:
As for a camera with a hot shoe.... the only compact camera I can think of is the Sony V1,not sure how good it is or anything... But one thing is sure to get good quality portrait with internal flash, you will need to be outdoors.
Actually, the little Olympus C5000 he's looking at has a hotshoe for an external flash.

If you wantbetter indoor portraits, I'd suggest spending money on a good external flash (or other lighting accessories) for your G2,versus buying a new camera. The G2 is a very good camera.

If you are looking for something small for other uses, then asmaller camera is fine (but I wouldn't suggest trying to use one for portraits if you want better quality, since their internal flashes leave a lot to be desired).

I guess a lot depends on what you mean by "portraits" andthe quality you expect.

I have nothing against small cameras. They are very convenient and can take nice photos. In fact, I've got a Konica KD-510z (identical to the Minolta G500 you're looking at) that I take with me everywhere in my front pants pocket.

I bought it because I'd often leave larger cameras at home, and I've been quite pleased with it.But, you can't expect an internal flash to provide the type of lighting you need forportraits -- especiallywith a subcompact model with the flash located close to the lens.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote