Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 11, 2005, 9:42 PM   #1
seb

I'll be replacing my very old Nikomat SLR with a digital camera. I want:
1 - High zoom capability (I live in Idaho and will be doing a lot of outdoor/nature photography)
2 - High resolution
3 - Automatic operation but the capacity to go manual
4 - Portability (will be taking it on long hikes, etc.); always hated the big bag and multiple lenses of my old SLR.

Don't really care so much about the preset scene modes, short video will be nice but not essential, worried a bit about the shutter lag times with digital. Also have read a bit about slow write times - not sure if this will be a concern.

Cost really isn't a concern (aside from the true dSLR models with monster price-tags); would like to stay under $1,000. I've read every review I can (including here and Steve's Digicams, among many others). Think I've decided on the 8800, but have seen some very positive comments on the FZ20.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:39 PM   #2

seb wrote:
Quote:
I'll be replacing my very old Nikomat SLR with a digital camera. I want:
1 - High zoom capability (I live in Idaho and will be doing a lot of outdoor/nature photography)
2 - High resolution
3 - Automatic operation but the capacity to go manual
4 - Portability (will be taking it on long hikes, etc.); always hated the big bag and multiple lenses of my old SLR.

Don't really care so much about the preset scene modes, short video will be nice but not essential, worried a bit about the shutter lag times with digital. Also have read a bit about slow write times - not sure if this will be a concern.
Quote:
If you are worried about lag times, then just focus manually and then hit the shutter when needed. Much of the lag time is spent focusing. Slow is relative - you won't notice any difference unless you do a lot of shooting in burst mode. I could only see you doing this if you do wildlife photography of animals in the middle of doing something interesting, such as a raptor about to strike.
Quote:

Cost really isn't a concern (aside from the true dSLR models with monster price-tags); would like to stay under $1,000. I've read every review I can (including here and Steve's Digicams, among many others). Think I've decided on the 8800, but have seen some very positive comments on the FZ20.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
The reviews give lag times and write times, so you should have that information. Both cameras fit your needs stated above, as I'm sure you've read. If you've read the reviews and still can't decide, then what's the problem or concern?
Quote:
PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 9:28 AM   #3
seb

If I could take what I like from both cameras I'd be set. I really like the longer zoom and better f of the FZ20 but the 8MP of the 8800 and reputation of Nikonis also a draw. The 8800makes it into nearly everyone's top ten but the FZ20 doesn't seem to get in as consistently. I don't mind spending the extra money for the 8800 but want it to be worth it. I've seen comparison pics between the two cameras and it always seems an unpredictable coin-toss; depending on the set of pics either camera takes a better shot with no apparent consistancy for ISO, subject, lighting, etc. I'm hoping someone here has experience with both and can explain why they prefer one over the other.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 9:34 AM   #4

Seb,

Since money is not a concern with you, here is an idea :idea:

Order both dig cams from a reputable vendor with at least a 7-day return window without restock fees.

Take them both for a 6.5 day test ride and return the one you don't want.

:-)

Also, if you pick a minolta SD to CF converter for about $50, then you only need to buy extra SD and do not have to buy "double media".

You can findthe converteronline.

Good luck :-)
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:46 AM   #5
seb

Good idea. I'm still hoping to get some hard information that will help me make the right single decision straight off, but I will certainly keep this possibility in mind. Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2005, 7:04 PM   #6

I bought the 8800 and received it a couple of weeks ago. I also had a hard time deciding, but the 8800 won out due to the 8 megapixel CCD. I use this camera exlusively in a copy stand to image things such as circuit boards and coins, and I think it is fabulous for this task. (I use two Nikons, a 5400 and a 5700 for my outdoor photography).

I'm attaching a silver dollar I imaged using the 8800 in my copystand. The silver dollar measures 38mm in diameter.
Attached Images

K6AZ is offline   Reply With Quote