Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 12, 2005, 12:00 AM   #1

I love compact manual film SLRs like the OM1 and the Nikon FM. Skipped the autofocus era completely. I like to shoot outdoors, closeups, natural light w/off-camera fill flash.

My vision isn't as good as it used to be, and I'm thinking that the IS with the FZ20, not to mention the 12x zoom, is really appealing. OTH, 7 mp could allow for almost unlimited cropping. I'm not likely to print larger than 8x10.

Haven't had a chance to handle the G6, the Lumix felt like a real camera and not a matchbox with buttons.

Pricewise, these are both more than I had wanted to spend (about $500), but they seem like the minimum camera I'd be happy with.

This would be my first digital camera, and while these two models have caught my attention, I am open to others. Would appreciate your thoughts, however tangential they might be. Thanks so much.

jacqueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2005, 12:14 AM   #2

jacqueg wrote:
Quote:
OTH, 7 mp could allow for almost unlimited cropping. I'm not likely to print larger than 8x10.
True, but then again, that 12x zoom of the FZ will do a lot of cropping for you.

I would love to have a G6, but I don't have one because I consider the 4x zoom a bit anemic for my needs. Your needs however are a bit different, as you like to shoot natural light. The slightly faster lense of the G6 might make a difference to you. For me, the 12x zoom made a bigger difference, especially since it is quite fast itself. Also, the IS will allow you to shoot one or two f-stops smaller anyway....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 10:37 AM   #3

hmm... you can go for a high-end prosumer instead, although these have their own flaws and the cost is higher. High-end prosumers are sort of a combination of a low-zoom prosumer and an ultra-zoom so it may be worth considering. The high-end prosumers are usually 7megapixels, with around 7x zoom. Examples include Konica Minolata A2, Olympus 8080, Canon Pro1, Sony F828, etc.

But like I said, they cost more and have their own shortcomings...

Anyway out of the two that you listed, the decision will come down to zoom. If you DO NOT use zoom, then the G6 is likely to be better (especially if you keep shooting at wide-angle with aperature of F2.0). However, once you start zooming, not only does the G6 have less zoom, its aperature also drops off like crazy...soooo... it will all come down to zoom I think. If you shoot mostly wide-angle pics (eg. landscapes, etc) then G6 MAY be better.
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 10:39 AM   #4

PhilR. wrote:
Quote:
jacqueg wrote:
Quote:
OTH, 7 mp could allow for almost unlimited cropping. I'm not likely to print larger than 8x10.
True, but then again, that 12x zoom of the FZ will do a lot of cropping for you.

I would love to have a G6, but I don't have one because I consider the 4x zoom a bit anemic for my needs. Your needs however are a bit different, as you like to shoot natural light. The slightly faster lense of the G6 might make a difference to you. For me, the 12x zoom made a bigger difference, especially since it is quite fast itself. Also, the IS will allow you to shoot one or two f-stops smaller anyway....

PhilR.

2-3 f-stops smaller
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 10:52 AM   #5

jacqueg wrote:
Quote:
*snip*
Haven't had a chance to handle the G6, the Lumix felt like a real camera and not a matchbox with buttons.

*snip*
Nothing wrong with a matchbox with buttons...as long as it performs well and meets our needs, then it's cool.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 7:54 PM   #6

Thank you all for your comments! I think I'll go with the Lumix. The point about being able to crop with the lens and the IS feature are the deciding factors. More megapixels would be nicer, but you know, not that long ago 5 megap's were cause for extreme envy and drooling. Guess I'll make it work!
jacqueg is offline   Reply With Quote