Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 13, 2005, 1:19 PM   #1

For someone just starting out in digital photography and has no previous investment in lenses, which Digital SLR would you recommend? Why?

Nikon D70

Pentax *ist DS

agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2005, 3:09 PM   #2

Minolta DSLR: Image Stabilization built into body. Ability to AutoFocus with slower lenses. 3rd party lenses are made for the Minolta mount from Sigma/Tamron/Tokina.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 1:04 AM   #3
jbr

I asked that same question a few weeks ago. I was stuck between the D70 and the *ist DS. I had done alot of research on these cameras. I've read reviews at cnet and dpreview.com from actual users of these cameras and compared. Went to a local camera shop and checked the bodies on both of these. The Pentax is alot smaller then the D70 but fit great in my hand (to some people sizedoes matter). Both are solid builds. Nikon is a much bigger name then Pentax so resell value would be much greater. Nikonmakes many more lenses then Pentax does but frommany rumors that I have heard, Pentax are somewhat better lenses. I don't know for a fact thats true but its a rumorI hear. I've seen some pics taken by the Nikon D70 (I work in a kodakphotolab) and they were very nice, great skin tones. SoI decided to be different from everyone else and give Pentax *ist DS a chance. Was I ever impressed. My first DSLR and Pentax to add, and the pictures are so sharp, colors are so vibrant and exactly what I am looking for. Very detailed pictures. I am not a professional, I just take pictures for a hobby, and I am very happy with my *ist DS.Which camera that is right for you really depends on what your going for, what your preferences are. I would do some searches and read customer reviews. So to end this, in my opinion, Pentax *ist DS is a great affordable DSLR for a starter or amateur, or become a rebel from all the Nikon D70 users (LOL). The Nikon D70 is greatif you want a larger arsenal of accessories. I am including a picture I had taken with my Pentax *ist DS at a local aquarium in very low light.
Attached Images

jbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 1:18 AM   #4
jbr

Oh and I forgot :-). There are some stores on ebay that have excellent packages at great prices. Thats where I bought my Pentax. For $1099.95 it came with (2) Tamron Lenses (28-80mm & 70-300mm), 1 GB SD card, Camera bag, pack of (4) NiMH2000maH AA batteries w/ charger, Pentax *ist DS (body), recovery CD and some cleaning clothes. And the Pentax body alone runs around $800-$999. Good deal if you ask me
jbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 1:37 AM   #5

OR...you could consider each reply as valid, regardless of the space they take up.

I would look at each model from each manufacturer & not limit myself to just the ones mentioned. The best person to decide for you is you...anything else is just somebody trying to explain their own choice.

Go handle them...take a CF card & shoot pics with each of them outside the door of the store. Take them home & decide for yourself.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 9:37 AM   #6

Don't count on resale value as part of your purchase plan. As I found out the hard way my 1200$ Nikon was worth 0$ in 14-months when I tried to trade it in. Digital cameras like PC's go obsolete too fast to haveany resale value.

Just locate the camera that seems to work the best for you, and use it.

Quote:
Nikon is a much bigger name then Pentax so resell value would be much greater

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote