Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 16, 2005, 10:19 AM   #11
Administrator

MikDee wrote:
Quote:
JimC wrote:
Quote:
MikDee wrote:
Quote:
Read the review all the info's there,,,Oh, andby the way, in the tests, the camera was not even set for 4MP fine mode!,,,
Actually, it was. This is in both the EXIF information in the test photos (FINE quality is specified in theMaker Notes Section), and you can tell by the file sizes (approx. 1.9MB). Normal Quality mode would have produced file sizes about half that size.

Jim,I don't know what you mean? which review?, I'm talking about the dpreview, It was not noted the camera was set to 4MP Fine mode in the tests, it said set to 4MP factory default mode, it defaults to "4MP Normal"
Yes, the photos in the review you're referring totaken with the cameraset to FINE mode. As I've already mentioned, this is in the EXIF Data for these photos. You can see this informationusing an image editor that can display the Maker Notes (such as irfanview); and, as I've already mentioned, you can tell by the file sizes.

Simon did not say factory defaults, He said "default image parameters". You can click on any of the samples to geta larger version. If you download them, you'll see the FINE setting in the EXIF data (part of the image header). The file sizes also indicate that FINE Quality was used.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms5100/page6.asp

When Simon says "Image Parameters", he means Contrast and Color settings (as in the Image Parameters section of the specifications):

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms5100/

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 10:52 AM   #12

Jim being a total amatuer, I am not sure I know what EXIF means, or how to get it from a posted pic, nor do I know of"irfanview", but I'll take your word for it as someone of knowledge, I stand corrected, I am presently giving this camera a workout, or "shakedown", to test it's capabilities. Thanks for the info, Mike
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 10:57 AM   #13
Administrator

MikDee wrote:
Quote:
Jim being a total amatuer, I am not sure I know what EXIF means, or how to get it from a posted pic, nor do I know of"irfanview", but I'll take your word for it as someone of knowledge, I stand corrected, I am presently giving this camera a workout, or "shakedown", to test it's capabilities. Thanks for the info, Mike
Modern Digital Cameras show the settings used to take a photo in a section of the image header known as the EXIF. EXIF stands for Exchangeable Image File Format.

Many image editors can see this information. Chances are, the software Fuji included with your camera can also see this information.

If not, download something like Irfanview from http://www.irfanview.com (it's free). Make sure to download and install the free plugins, too. You can see the EXIF information under Image, Information, EXIF. The Maker Notes section for the Fuji shows that FINE quality was used. Not all cameras have this information in the Maker Notes, but this Fuji does.

Even without looking at the EXIF, it's obvious from the File Sizes that FINE Quality was used. FINE Quality photos from this model average around 1.9mb. Normal Quality photos from this modelare about half that size.

Old Jan 16, 2005, 2:22 PM   #14

In that much light, I can also take steady pics at 10X zoom. wait till you shutter speed goes down, then try it. I can take hand held at 10X with 1/4s and still get a decent pic. However, when your subjects are the moving kind and your always reframing the shot, it gets harder without IS on. And keep in mind your not zoomed into an object which is filling the frame, your just zoomed into another pseudo wide shot.. Try Close ups and extreme closeups a of some small fury thing that fidgit around..

Again, I have no idea what this means "feels like a real camera" The lieca m7 dont feel like an SLR, so is it not a real camera?

I personally wanted a smaller camera, the FZ3 and S1 were a little on the bigger side of what I wanted already, but I certainly was'nt looking for any bigger. The FZ20 was tempting, but at over $300 more, I was quickly reminded how size (not to mention money) were an issue for me.

Mind you,I would buy an FZ20 now, but I would still need a smaller camera around anyway. so for now the S1 suits my needs just fine..

That is untill perhaps the S2 or Fz30/40 time,or even if an IS fuji comes along:|
lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 8:32 AM   #15

Larry, I doubtthe S1can matchthe clarity of that pic, or most any superzoom in it's class!Ithink I got it now, to get thebest picture quality in a long zoom camera,get the S5100, for all else, get the S1, Z3, or somethingsimilar that has Image Stabilization. A "real camera" is, IMHOone that is intuitive (thoughtful in design), you pick it up, and it feels right in your hand, size, weight, & grip,controls, are almost second nature to use, not too many buttons, or an unclear tiny EVF, zoom speed not too fast, or slow, Iguess I'mkinda "old school" I prefera built for serious photography approach, not a "shiny, gltzy" ultra small high tech,"yuppie cell phone" approach. With my old eye's,I couldn't see to use one of those phonesto save my life,,, lol,,, don't know what a lieca M7 is?,, don't care either. The Z3 impressed me, but picture, & videoquality, on the S5100won out. The FZ20 is probably the best, aside from video quality, and I personally think cameras should be antiglare black.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 9:59 AM   #16
Administrator

I've got mixed feelings on this new Fuji.

Yes, it appears to take some pretty nice pics and it's got a sharp, bright lens.

Fuji seems to be trying to find the right "niche" for their consumer products.

Although the S5000 had it's share of critics, most people ignored the fact that it started out at higher ISO speed compared to most. So, you had faster shutter speeds than competing models for any given lighting condition and aperture.

Of course, you got complaints about the noise. But, guess what, if you tried to shoot at the higher ISO speeds with a conventional CCD equipped "ultra zoom" camera, you'd get even higher noise. ;-)

The Super CCD sensor in the S5000 also helped it's flash range (since each tme you double the ISO speed, your flash range increases by 1.4x).

Now that they went back to a conventional CCD, you've got a lower ISO speed range (resulting in slower shutter speeds),with shorter flash ranges.

So, each approach is a tradeoff. You can't make everyone happy.

The Super CCD sensors are a good idea. But, in practice, they seem to lack dynamic range in their smaller size offering (even though Fuji is selling them as having greater dynamic range), and you get artifacts from the interpolation process.

JPEG compression is another area where Fuji seems to have the wrong idea. With models using an interpolated output, they only offer the least compression in the highest resolution (interpolated) modes.

Overall, the reviewers seem to like the newer S5100 more (thanks in a large part to it's conventional CCD).

Personally, I'd like to see a model where Fuji combines the best from both worlds. A CCD that has a higher usable ISO range, combined with low JPEG Compression, regardless of what resolution (interpolated or not) you choose to shoot at.

Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:25 AM   #17

Well said Jim, a pic from my deck today without zoom:
Attached Images

Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:50 PM   #18

well, If the colour of your camera can determine your social standing, then our society is what needs to be updated!

Also, I just wanted to add, zoom in with your fuji and take a nice handheld shot at around f5.6 or higher. That same pic would be WAY sharper if you had IS.

Actually, I just read this and was wondering if anyone had any comments to make on it???

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=11875924
lenscaplarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 3:59 PM   #19

First posted video test Fugi S5100, 640X480 30fps mode, 13secs. Max.on the included 16MB XD card. A dreary day, & a stormy Neversink river, near Port Jervis, NY

http://imageevent.com/vasatest55/fugis5100digicamvideotest
attention: (Please click on dowload avi if you can't view the movie)
Old Jan 18, 2005, 6:03 PM   #20

I would like to ask, besides the IS why should pick the canon s1 3.2 mp over the fuji 5100 with 4mp , I narrowedit down to two since finally I dropped the minolta z3, It's just not apealing to me.

Thanks
fotoloco is offline   Reply With Quote